USB2 and XP Pro - what the heck!!

Yabbadoo

I had both USB1 (onboard) and USB2 (IDE card) both working on this pc when
it had XPHome (as stated originally). It's only after hdd failure, so new
hdd, new install of XPPro, that USB2 no longer works.
I didn't "upgrade" USB1 to USB2 - Iboth USB1 and USB2 co-existed and worked
at correct speeds under XPHome - 6 USB1 ports, 2 USB2 ports on added
USB2card, plus USB2 hub plugged into USB2 port and working too.

Donald L McDaniel

I had both USB1 (onboard) and USB2 (IDE card) both working on this pc when
it had XPHome (as stated originally). It's only after hdd failure, so new
hdd, new install of XPPro, that USB2 no longer works.
I didn't "upgrade" USB1 to USB2 - Iboth USB1 and USB2 co-existed and worked
at correct speeds under XPHome - 6 USB1 ports, 2 USB2 ports on added
USB2card, plus USB2 hub plugged into USB2 port and working too.

Did you reinstall XP SP1 or SP2? Both of them install USB2.0 drivers.
Did you install any USB 2.0 drivers after reinstalling XP? Your
USB2.0 card probably requires drivers from the manufacturer of the
card. When I attempted to install the USB2 drivers contained on my
motherboard installation CD, they told me that XP contains the
necessary driver. If none were installed when you reinstalled XP,
download them from Microsoft and install them.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Yabbadoo

Not a RE-installation - original system was XPHome (on hdd which ultimately
crashed). Installed XPPro on virgin hdd, religiously installed AV, SP2,
and, via Automatic Update, all later updates too, before any other software.

What I didn't do was install the chipset drivers - since rectified. Neither
the original chipset driver, nor the later driver, make an iota of
difference - USB2, which was working fine in XPHome, no longer works
properly on XPPro.
The USB2 card came with XP driver CD ( loaded re-loaded so many times I've
lost count) but the USB2 hub documentation stated it was designed for XP,
would be automatically detected. Which it is, but as "generic", not USB2.
However, a hub without a device is a collection of unused ports - inserting
a flash memory stick in the yields "port overload" message ( but same flash
stick direct into the card port, i.e. NOT using the hub - works fine.

Moment of madness getting Pro, but after all the grief I'm not going back to
Home. Only benefit is it's standalone (versus OEM version of Home).

jjmotz

Yabbadoo said:
[...]

Had a very similar problem. New motherboard (VIA chips)has USB2 ports.
New install of XP Pro W/SP2 on CD will set them to 1.1 only. Updated
Bios, uninstalled and reinstalled everything a dozen times to no avail.
Via won't supply drivers 'cause they are in XP. Mobo vendor has same
reason. M$ usual: "We don't write the drivers." Read "SCREW YOU".
Bought a 3 port USB2 card (VIA chip). XP wouldn't set it for USB2
either. Went to card vendors' site and found a file that would make it
"more compatible" (what ever that means). Ran the file and now at least
the add-on card works. Does USB sound like rocket science? Serial
protocols have been around since day one. I've never seen so much
energy spent trying to get something to work. Why can't someone get it
right?

John

Jim Macklin

Be sure that USB 2.0 is turned ON in the BIOS...

some support

wrote in message
> [...]
2.0 ports.

way to upgrade