USB external HDDs- sleep mode?

Reaction score
Im thinking about a USB external HDD for file backup and easy transfer between computers.

I see most need mains power to run.

Are these disks always on if they are plugged in, or does the USB trigger a wake-up/sleep function when the computer is turned on/off? Do these disks have sleep/power-saving/long-life preservation features?

Cheers!

K

Reaction score
The older 4.5inch HDD's use external power and are always on..Unless you switch them off..I use a Western Digital 320gb mini which is about the 2.5inch x 3.5inch x 1/4 inch roughly.. And runs just of USB power..Cost £75..

It can even be worthwhile building your own Extrnal HDD.. HDD cases can be picked up as cheap as £5.99..And hard drive depends on what you want to go with.Anywhere from £35 to a couple of hundred..

Reaction score
Hey :) Thanks.

I was looking at a LaCie offering at around £40. I really have no idea if its always on- that CANT be good for the life expectancy? Is your WD always on or does it sleep? :)

K

Reaction score
I would say it's only on when something is been written to it or been read from it..When not it should go into idle..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
always on ... that CANT be good for the life expectancy?
quite wrong, it really don't matter.

What to stay away from is switching on-n-off ever few mins ... and I defiantly don't wont my HD powering off every time I want to use it. ;)

Also, it is better to use an external HD that does have it's own power supply, at least you can turn it off 'properly' when you want to. :D

:user:

Ask a Question