USB external drivers

johkaz

Hi to all,

I am a newbie here on this forum, and I am wondering if anyone can hel
me with this problem? I have asked the same question on another forum
but I have received no answer about it.
I have a 80GB hard drive in a USB enclosure, and I am trying to get i
to work with Vista 64 bit. But every time I try to connect it to m
computer, I keep getting a screen asking for a driver for the USB t
IDE adapter. I have tried a search in my Windows XP Home partition (no
bootable) I have on another drive, which is fitted inside the compute
Plus I have had a look around the forums here and elsewhere, to tr
different drivers and I have tried the Infcache advice that I found
but still the drive and enclosure will not work. Also I have trie
different USB ports in the computer, but still I cannot get it to work

So I am wondering now about the following.

Does Vista 64 bit work with USB 1.1?
Because when I connect the enclosure to my son's computer (XP Home),
can get the drive to work and I can see the files.

Will I have to update the enclosure to USB 2.0, for it to work wit
Vista 64 bit, or will a USB 2.0 cable work instead?

Is there a problem with the hard drive (set to Master) and I believe
Fat32 system?

Gar

Dominic Payer

Some older USB enclosures are not compatible with Vista. They would need a
firmware update which it is not economic for the enclosure manufacturer to
create. This will be why you are being asked for a driver. It is not because
it is USB1, but because the enclosure's firmware is not recognised as
compatible with the standard USB drivers.

You could buy a Vista compatible enclosure and transfer the drive. It might
be better to get a new, larger external drive .

johkaz

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.
And your answer explains a lot about the problems i have been having,
and i will now buy a new USB 2.0 Vista 64 compatable enclosure for the
drive.

Cheers.

Gary

;761634']Some older USB enclosures are not compatible with Vista. They

"johkaz" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Hi to all,

I am a newbie here on this forum, and I am wondering if anyone can
help
me with this problem? I have asked the same question on another
forum,
but I have received no answer about it.
I have a 80GB hard drive in a USB enclosure, and I am trying to get
it
to work with Vista 64 bit. But every time I try to connect it to my
computer, I keep getting a screen asking for a driver for the USB to
IDE adapter. I have tried a search in my Windows XP Home partition
(not
bootable) I have on another drive, which is fitted inside the
computer
Plus I have had a look around the forums here and elsewhere, to try
different drivers and I have tried the Infcache advice that I found,
but still the drive and enclosure will not work. Also I have tried
different USB ports in the computer, but still I cannot get it to
work

So I am wondering now about the following.

Does Vista 64 bit work with USB 1.1?
Because when I connect the enclosure to my son's computer (XP Home),
can get the drive to work and I can see the files.

Will I have to update the enclosure to USB 2.0, for it to work with

johkaz;761753 said:
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.
And your answer explains a lot about the problems i have been having
and i will now buy a new USB 2.0 Vista 64 compatable enclosure for th
drive.

Cheers.

Gary

Hi,

I have just bought myself a new Akasa USB 2.0 enclosure.
And everything works ok, plus all of the drives are visible now.

Many thanks

Gar