USB Delayed Write failed and "Path Too Deep" errors

Reaction score
Hi all,

new to this forum but it seems you people all help each other very much :)

Ok, I have a very peculiar problem.
I have WinXP SP2 with all patches and hotfixes.
ABIT Fatal1ty M/B, P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM (Dual Channel - 2x512MB), 7 SATA drives, NVidia 6200 vga etc etc.
My USB ports were functioning well, prior to patching my Bios with the latest release from Abit. After that, I can read and print to USB devices, but when I write (even a folder with 10-15 small files e.g. MP3's) I get huge delays and eventually I have to unplug with USB H/D enclosure and ofcourse get the "Delayed Write Failed" error (sometimes I get a "Path Too Deep" error).

The same error occurs to USB Sticks as well (USB-HD is NTFS, USB-STICK is FAT32).

I tried all sorts of things, patches, tweaks etc, nothing happened. I then "downgraded" my BIOS to the earlier version, but *STILL* the error is there.

I want to note that I have a lot of applications like Alcohol120%, CloneCD/DVD etc.

My mouse is NOT USB (I say that because I read somewhere that a USB mouse might make the USB bus "busy" and writing operations might fail).

I am desperate, this thing has been puzzling me for the past 15 days and I dont have anything else to try.

EDIT: > I already scavenged the web and this forum for solutions, and tried everything I thought might be applicable that were suggested by people at this forum and elsewhere, with no success..... :(

Any help, MUCH appreciated,
Chris

Last edited:
Reaction score
Further news

Hi guys,

I tried everything I could think of and everything I found on the net regarding this issue, and no improvement.

The only thing remaining is reformatting and installing a fresh windows, but that is the last thing I want to do. My machine is a development machine and setting up all the libraries etc that I require would take me days, and probably I won't find the CDs of all the things I need.

Is there anybody out there who can give me any hints? Anything at all is much appreciated.

Many thanks beforehand
Chris

Ask a Question