Upgrading RAM Dell Dimension 4600

Reaction score
Well I have a dell dimension 4600 with two DDR pc2700 free slots. I've been told that buying pc3200 is fine, as it is backwards compatible.

I want to know what RAM I can get? Any help? Will all ram work in the two spare slots left (I have 512 already installed).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
undeaed said:
Well I have a dell dimension 4600 with two DDR pc2700 free slots. I've been told that buying pc3200 is fine, as it is backwards compatible.

I want to know what RAM I can get? Any help? Will all ram work in the two spare slots left (I have 512 already installed).
... go and have a look. :thumb:

http://www.crucial.com/

:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, the "sales blurb" states that 3200 is backward compatible with 2700 ... however, the word compatible does not exist in computer terminology, meaning, it should work, but then it may not work.

The reason I posted a link to Crucial is quite simple, they guarantee their memory will work with your system, or you get your money back ... they can also check what mem you have installed and offer guidance to what you can add.

Yes, you are also correct, up to a point, in that you will need a matching pair ... another bit of sales blurb there too I'm afraid ... most newish motherboards have what is called "dual-channel" capability ... all this means is they can use both memory sticks at the same time, clever inthey, however, there is no such thing as dual-channel memory. Some MBs will not work in dual-channel mode if all slots are used. :rolleyes:

It is more important to match your existing memory than buying something that sounds better even if it is cheaper ... you may just find out firsthand why ... if your present memory is 2700, and, you wish to add some more, then get some more 2700 .. you should also be aware that there is, single sided & double sided memory, you don't really want to mix this either.

Up to you, many people just buy the cheapest they can, and get away with it. Others find they have "problems" and then have to buy more ram.

Now after saying all that, I went and checked Crucial's website ... they do list 3200 as being compatible. I should have gone there first, would have saved me some typing. :D

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension+4600

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
undeaed said:
Thanks that made me even more confused! No I'm joking, it helped... to a point! :p
yeah, I can post one-liners to ... ;)

If Crucial say it will work, then it will work, or you get your money back. :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question