upgrade adive please

Reaction score
hi guys,
im new here and im intereted in upgarding my pc to play games better its not doing to bad at the moment except with the really modern games, i mostly play call of duty mp, bf1942 mp well basically ANY WW2 multiplayer game. the last game i brought was bother in arms witch is very demanding it seems i have turned everything of but i still have problems yet halflife 2 is fine. i absolutley refuse to go below 1024/768 resolution. I get 70 odd fps in the counter strike source stress test with default settings at 1024/768 witch im happy with i basically want the most frames for the upgrade cost.

heres my dilemia do i upgrade processor, ram or graphics card i really dont know nor can i afford to buy all 3, I was thinking of getting a geforce 6800gt but i dont want my processor to choke the card will it?

my specs are

2800+ barton amd
512 pc3200 ram twinmos
asus mobo an8x or something like that
powercolour 9700pro ati graphics

i would like it to work with more modern games like battlefield 2 when it comes out i sold doom 3 cuz it ran like a bag of pants

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Your graphics card looks the lowest of the bunch, the CPU isn't bad (but could be faster). A 6800 or X800/50 series card would make a massive difference, but would cost quite a bit.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
kilf said:
and the cpu wont bottle neck the card?

A faster CPU would be better, but the difference between a 2.8 and 3.4 for example isn't worth the £150 it would cost to upgrade (In my opinion). You can always upgrade this at a later date, as a new graphics card would make the biggest difference now.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You could go for a 6600gt that would give you a sizeable chunk of performance and you wouldn't have to worry about what games you want to play...

you can pick one up for around the £130 pound mark...:D

Go for it you won't regret it....

This would make a massive difference to your gaming....

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=307192&cks=PRL

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok so i know how mucha difference a 3000 barton is from my 2800 barton but this 64 bit stuff starte=s to confuse me how much difference will a 3000 64 bit chip be from a 300 barton in gaming performance nothing else just gaming as that is all i am interested in

Reaction score
also crazy are you saying a 6800gt would bottle neck but a 6600gt wouldnt

Reaction score
kilf said:
ok so i know how mucha difference a 3000 barton is from my 2800 barton but this 64 bit stuff starte=s to confuse me how much difference will a 3000 64 bit chip be from a 300 barton in gaming performance nothing else just gaming as that is all i am interested in

at the moment, having a 64 bit chip won't make much difference as the games don't have 64bit support, they'll just run in 32 bit mode.

so stick with a 32 bit for now!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
also crazy are you saying a 6800gt would bottle neck but a 6600gt wouldnt

No No No what i'm saying is a 6600gt would give you a massive performance difference over what you have at the moment meaning your ATI 9700, it is this at the moment that is your bottleneck...

Stick a 6600gt in there and your machine will be flying, you won't recognise its the same machine when playing games....:D

A 2800+ Barton is plenty fast enough for most games, 512 ram is sufficient although i would up that to a gig if you wanna play the likes of Doom3 with the eye candy turned up, and with that card you wouldn't look back.....;)

Happy Gaming...

Last edited:

Ask a Question