Updating Evaluation Run time copies

Corey Benn

Just want to clarify that I have this right. I've been reading the MB
for a while now and I do believe I came across this answer but wanted
to be 100% sure.

In order to update a runtime image you must first have Run time
licenses from your distributor and then you must implement them during
the TD phase? Is this correct? This doesn't seem to be very efficient
means but I know for instance the eval copy of XP Embedded tools and
repository have to be reinstalled when you get a licensed copy was
wondering if the run time licenses were the same.

Gordon Smith \(eMVP\)

Corey said:
Just want to clarify that I have this right. I've been reading the MB
for a while now and I do believe I came across this answer but wanted
to be 100% sure.

In order to update a runtime image you must first have Run time
licenses from your distributor and then you must implement them during
the TD phase? Is this correct? This doesn't seem to be very efficient
means but I know for instance the eval copy of XP Embedded tools and
repository have to be reinstalled when you get a licensed copy was
wondering if the run time licenses were the same.

There is no documented way of patching an eval build with a PID. The PID
needs to be entered in Target Designer before doing the build.

Anil Ingle

Also, make sure you have the non-eval tools. To be clear there are 4
things here. 1. Eval tools 2. Eval Runtime 3. Production tools 4. Production
Runtimes.
#1 &#3 will produce eval run times by default. Only #3 can produce
production runtimes for this you will need a production PID.
-Anil [MS]. This posting is provided AS IS. It provides no warranties and
confers no rights.

Corey Benn

Yep, Thanks for the clarification.

Received the XP1 development tools with XP1 from our vendor just
recently and I have been analyzing a build a customer made and taking
things out. Only to have them tell us that they have units shipping
right now with no PID's so I was like D'oh! As far as I knew each
Run-time image must be put into the TD before it will remove the
timebomb effect. If this is the case once an image has been built you
can then successfully take that image and use it as a master. Am I
correct in thinking this way? Unfortunately my expertize is securing
operating systems not building em ;p They just said hey can you secure
a windows xp embedded OS. Now I find myself learning more about the
Embedded XP.

Thanks for the help in advance. I am very greatful for the message
boards since the Windows XP Advanced by Sean D. Liming I ordered from
amazon.com hasn't shipped nor has an expected released date now. The
MSDN and newsgroups will have to suffice for now.

#1 &#3 will produce eval run times by default. Only #3 can produce
Gordon Smith (eMVP) said:
There is no documented way of patching an eval build with a PID. The PID
needs to be entered in Target Designer before doing the build.

Anil Ingle

Yes your thinking is correct. In addition, if you search google groups, you
can find more answers to questions on PID's & Security from MS folks..
HTH