Updating an XP computer long overdue for an update

P

Pat

I've got a WinXP Pro SP2 computer that has not been hooked up to the internet, and so
has not run Windows Update, for at least two years (maybe three). The computer is
stable.

Is there a recommended practice for installing all the updates that I will see when I
finally hook it up and run Windows Update? Any there updates recommended to install
first?

Thanks!

Pat

R

Richard in AZ

I would set the PC to automatically download, but not install the updates. Then when you get the
notice that there are updates to install, choose "Custom Install" so that it will only show critical
updates and install these as they come. I hope you have a broad band connection as your are going
to get them in big bunches. After it is through with the critical updates, you can start looking
at the optional updates.

D

Doug W.

If you have dial-up, it could take 24 hours to get 'em all. You
are looking at about 60+ downloads. Good luck.
-
Doug W.
-

P

Pat

Plato said:

Doesn't even come close to answering my question.

As a side note - did you know it makes your website look bad when you recommend it for a
question for which it doesn't even remotely answer? Not that people might think you're a
spammer, but it also makes it look like you don't think the question is useful, and so
your website probably isn't useful at all.

Ask a Question