Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1

G

Does "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1 (KB838909)" work

SP2 Windows Update text

"This update addresses an issue with the McAfee Enterprise Antivirus application versions 7.1 and earlier. If you are experiencing issues with the auto-update feature of this product, this update from Microsoft will help resolve the issue. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Even after install the McAfee A-V Update feature of Enterprise 7.0 (or the 7.5 Beta) fails with the message

"Failes to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running.

The service is running

I've found some refernence to updating a "link" using the Admin Tool - Component Services" but havn't a clue on why or what to do next. The detail in KB838909 is not available at the Microsoft site..

Any help in understanding this issue would be appreciated

W

Will Denny

Hi

There are News Groups specific to SP2:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Does "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1 (KB838909)" work?
|
| SP2 Windows Update text:
|
| "This update addresses an issue with the McAfee Enterprise Antivirus application versions 7.1 and earlier. If you are experiencing issues with the auto-update feature of this product, this update from Microsoft will help resolve the issue. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."
|
| Even after install the McAfee A-V Update feature of Enterprise 7.0 (or the 7.5 Beta) fails with the message:
|
| "Failes to initialize Common Updater subsystem. Make sure the McAfee Framework Service is running."
|
| The service is running.
|
| I've found some refernence to updating a "link" using the Admin Tool - Component Services" but havn't a clue on why or what to do next. The detail in KB838909 is not available at the Microsoft site...
|
| Any help in understanding this issue would be appreciated.
|
|

A

Alex Nichol

SysGW said:
Does "Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 1 (KB838909)" work?

SP2 Windows Update text:

"This update addresses an issue with the McAfee Enterprise Antivirus application versions 7.1 and earlier. If you are experiencing issues with the auto-update feature of this product, this update from Microsoft will help resolve the issue. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed."

It is not clear what exactly that fix is intending to cure: it appears
to be both more general and at the same time less critical than that
suggests. Although I have installed it to investigate, I think it is
one to leave alone unless you are experiencing real difficulty without
it. I find that it does provide an Uninstall in Add Remove programs -
if it does not on your system, use of System Restore to a point made
before you installed it is the course to take

Ask a Question