Update Fields

Daleje

I have a long document with an attached TOC. When I open it and use one of the
page numbers to go to a certain page and print, it always asks me if I want to
save the changes upon closing. I've made no changes, so I click No.
The change indicated in reverse changes is "update fields."
Is this normal, and why does it happen? Should I click "Yes" to save the
changes?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Hi Daleje,

That is standard behaviour because the document repaginates before printing
and that results in the { PAGE } fields being updated or "refreshed" and
Word does not keep track of whether the page numbers actually changed or
not. I think that this happens in the case of { PAGE } fields whether or
not the Update Fields option is set for that document under
Tools>Options>Print.

If you know that you have not made any changes, then there is no real need
to save the document.

Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
interested.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Daleje