Update Excel from Word

Hi!

I need to create an Excel file that would update from multiple Word documents.
Ex. In Word, I have a table with a cell that has the person responsible for
a project. If the person responsible changes, I'd like cell B2 in Excel to
automatically update with the name change. Is this possible? I tried to
copy, paste special, paste link, Microsoft Office Word Document Object to my
Excel file but anytime I update the Word document, it gives me a message
saying cannot start the source application for this object. Can anyone help?
Is there a way to do this rather than changing all those Word documents to
Excel files?

There is a tiny trick to make this type of linkage much easier than normal.
Everyone knows how to link a cell in one workbook to another cell in a
defferent workbook. We just want to do the same thing to a cell in a Word
Table.

We can cheat! Open both a Word doc and an Excel Workbook

In the Word doc, instead of inserting a Table in the Word doc:

Insert > Object > Microsoft Excel Worksheet

If you double-click in a cell in the resulting object, you see the embedded
worksheet. Enter data and copy the cell. If you click outside the object,
it changes appearance. It looks just like any other Word table.

Now go to the Work book, select a cell and:

Edit > PasteSpecial > Paste Link

Link updates work because we have really linked two worksheets (even though
one of them is embedded)

James Silverton

Gary''s wrote on Wed, 16 May 2007 09:45:00 -0700:

Gs> We can cheat! Open both a Word doc and an Excel Workbook

Gs> In the Word doc, instead of inserting a Table in the Word
doc:

Insert >> Object > Microsoft Excel Worksheet

Gs> If you double-click in a cell in the resulting object, you
Gs> see the embedded worksheet. Enter data and copy the cell.
Gs> If you click outside the object, it changes appearance. It
Gs> looks just like any other Word table.

Gs> Now go to the Work book, select a cell and:

Edit >> PasteSpecial > Paste Link

Gs> Link updates work because we have really linked two
Gs> worksheets (even though one of them is embedded)
Gs> --
Gs> Gary''s Student - gsnu200722

Gs> "SueK" wrote:

I'm not the OP but that's neat!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Thanks James:

I usually work this thing backwards. The finance guys around here that do
cost estimates always work in Excel, but they deliver their estimates in Word
docs.

They claim the linking thing saves them lots of time and trouble.

Thank you! It works great!

Gary''s Student said:
There is a tiny trick to make this type of linkage much easier than normal.
Everyone knows how to link a cell in one workbook to another cell in a
defferent workbook. We just want to do the same thing to a cell in a Word
Table.

We can cheat! Open both a Word doc and an Excel Workbook

In the Word doc, instead of inserting a Table in the Word doc:

Insert > Object > Microsoft Excel Worksheet

If you double-click in a cell in the resulting object, you see the embedded
worksheet. Enter data and copy the cell. If you click outside the object,
it changes appearance. It looks just like any other Word table.

Now go to the Work book, select a cell and:

Edit > PasteSpecial > Paste Link

Link updates work because we have really linked two worksheets (even though
one of them is embedded)

Gary -
I'm pulling info from excel into word. Do I have to have my excel file open
to update my word file?