Unusual Startup Problem?? HELP...........again

Bill

Thanks Peter, My system boots much faster now, and it got rid of the
second Win XP Home Edition. However, I now have" Win XP Home Edition",
a "blank", and a "1" on the screen at startup.
Is there a way to edit the boot.ini file? It is as follows:

{boot loader}
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="1"

I know how the two extra entries got there, I just don't know how to
get rid of them!

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Try booting up using the XP CD-ROM and choose to repair. Then choose the
Recovery Console Option...
Choose the number corresponding to your XP version and enter your
Administrator Password (then press enter).

After that you'll see a command prompt...enter the following command:

bootcfg /rebuild" command to fix boot.ini.
FIXBOOT will fix the boot sector on the boot drive,
FIXMBR will fix the master boot record if the NT loader
complains of a missing HAL or unmountable boot volume.

After the process is completed enter the command EXIT to quit (and the
system should auto reboot OK from that point onwards...
That fixes the HAL problem
then go Start/run......Msconfig
click the boot.ini tab and click "check all boot paths"
peter

A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive
........and the list goes on.........
A7N8X-E Deluxe Revision 2.xx BIOS 1008
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ Barton Core
2 X- Xerox (512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Geforce FX 5200 128MB
Windows XP Home SP1
3Dvision TV/FM/Video Capture
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar WD1600BB 160GB Hard Drive
........and the list goes on.........

ceedee

edit the boot.ini file in notepad
just delete the last 2 lines