Unoosa appoints new ambassador

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist, is set to be tasked with co-ordinating humanity’s response if and when extraterrestrials make contact.

Aliens who landed on earth and asked: “Take me to your leader” would be directed to Mrs Othman.

She will set out the details of her proposed new role at a Royal Society conference in Buckinghamshire next week.

can we send in the men in thier white coats early?

Mrs Othman is currently head of the UN’s little known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

Full (SiFi) Story

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Mrs Othman is currently head of the UN’s little known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...space-ambassador-to-greet-alien-visitors.html

user.gif

Bet she doesn't have a lot to do. :p

Sounds like a cushy number. Does she speak Martian?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Opinion is divided about how future extraterrestrial visitors should be greeted. Under the Outer Space Treaty on 1967, which Unoosa oversees, UN members agreed to protect Earth against contamination by alien species by “sterilising” them.

Mrs Othman is understood to support a more tolerant approach.

Can't help feeling that if they have the technology, etc., to get here, they're not really going to submit to having Earthling indignities inflicted upon them. :rolleyes: :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Can't help feeling that if they have the technology, etc., to get here, they're not really going to submit to having Earthling indignities inflicted upon them. :rolleyes: :D
exactly! :nod:

me thinks they would only "come here" to negotiate our surender.

:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well that's comforting to know :)

We need people like the good Mrs Othman.

Don't we.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Of course we do – all members, earthlings and aliens alike wish good luck on the challenging path... um... no, trajectory Mrs Othman has chosen.

All together now:

:D

Reaction score
I wonder who funds this and, why isn't the money being put to use where it's really needed ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
I wonder who funds this and, why isn't the money being put to use where it's really needed ?

Quite right. Like looking for the abominable snowmen and those little green fellas that live in the Victorian sewers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
From the same article that muck's linked to,

"Opinion is divided about how future extraterrestrial visitors should be greeted. Under the Outer Space Treaty on 1967, which Unoosa oversees, UN members agreed to protect Earth against contamination by alien species by “sterilising” them."

which is a bit worrying. But all is not lost.

"Mrs Othman is understood to support a more tolerant approach."

so you can all breath easier now.

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
With regard to Mrs Othman, all I can add is.....

Oh! dear.
historian

By the way as these post refer to extra terrestials,did
any one catch Stephen Hawkins program on Channel 4,Saturday
called "Stephen Hawkins`s Universe"? Good stuff.
h.

Reaction score
Its been running since 1967....haha. 43 years of funding ? I'd love to know how much it's cost so far.
Liking the h. Historian.