UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME no repair option

Reaction score
when completing a disk clean up on c:, there was 70,000kb in 'compress old files'

the machine was running for a heck of a long time and then just powered off. Wouldn't turn on until i disconnected power for 30 secs.

when it turned on, it came up with BSOD stating UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

on looking up troubleshooting guides online for this error everyone is telling me to use 'r' repair option or chkdsk/fixboot progs on XP bootdisk.

This is not an option for me, when i boot from xp disk it goes through the motions, installing temp files and then instead of giving me the install/repair screen it tells me my c: needs formatting. there is not much data on c: and I am prepared to lose it.

However, I have a partition (d:) which holds a lot of my personal files, and beleive that if i format my c: at this point, when i reboot it will tell me d: needs to be formatted or re-poartitioned. I really dont want this to happen and lose my d: data.

i tried bypassing the format and asked it to install winxp onto c: but it still found a format problem and wouldn't let me proceed without formatting.

I have also tried booting from win98 floppy to give me a c:prompt, and ran scandisk and checkdisk from that, both say disk is fine.

I am not able to access XP disk via win98 c: prompt, so i cant add the parameters /r /p etc. Please advise, i'm sure there is a way to save my d:/ and you help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
as nobody responded and i needed my system up today, i posted on another site and followed their advice...

I slaved the drive on another pc... copied files from d: ... (c: was inaccessible)... and then replaced into original pc and formatted/reinstalled.

fortunately the d: was still accessible after the install

i posted this info in the hope it will help others who are unable to perform the repair function on the XP bootdisk.

Ask a Question