Understanding Cached Credentials

All -

I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about cached
credentials.

Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are valid
for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user prompted
that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If the
user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those cached
redentials?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Cached credentials security in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;913485

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| All -
|
| I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
| domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about cached
| credentials.
|
| Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are valid
| for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user prompted
| that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If the
| user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those cached
| redentials?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks Carey for the greate information.

NRC, Let me know if you still have questions.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Additional informatoin:

Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Cache You will see
NL$1,NL$2....NL$n (by default, it will be 10). This is the place where
cached credentials stored. The user name and password are hashed, we cannot
identify. Each time you logon, the credential will be cached. When the 11th
user logged on, the first cached credential will be replaced.

Hope the information helps.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:17:36 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

-­----------------
:

| All -
|
| I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
| domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about cached
| credentials.
|
| Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are valid
| for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user prompted
| that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If the
| user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those cached
| redentials?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Vincent, Carey,

Thanks for the replies. I had found several documents citing "number of
cached domain credentials stored on the client" and "notification of logon
using cached credentials", but it's not exactly what I was going for.

I had already found the article that Carey posted (before my newsgroups
post, of course) - but this doesn't contain the information I'm after. It was
still a good read. However, consider this: A domain laptop (read; user) is
out of the country for 3 months on business. Assume a VPN or similar
connection is not available back to the parent domain. The domain password
policy sets domain account passwords to expire every 60 days. What is the
expected result of the client using cached credentials longer than the domain
password policy allows?

In the case where the password would expire, and the client is notified, the
client would not be able to change their password since the domain is not
available.

This is the type of documentation I was looking for. Not that there would be
documents specifically for "extended travel users", but I would expect to
find some documentation regarding the parameters of cahced credentials, other
than those in KB913485.

Thanks again for the good replies, I hope to hear back soon.

Thanks

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:17:36 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --
-­----------------

:

| All -
|
| I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
| domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about cached
| credentials.
|
| Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are valid
| for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user
prompted
| that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If the
| user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those
cached
| redentials?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Steven L Umbach

Unfortunately I have never seen good documentation of such. If I remember
correctly from experience a user will be able to logon to their computer
with cached credentials after their domain password expires however if they
try to connect to the domain via a VPN they will get a message that their
password has expired and must change it to gain access. The built in
Microsoft VPN client using mschapv2 should allow them to change their
password at this time but I heard many third party VPN clients will not.
After doing such the user should immediately lock and then unlock their
computer to refresh their cached credentials with the new password.

What I would do is to test it out on a laptop. Have a users logon and logoff
to create cached credentials, unplug from the network to verify that they
can logon with cached credentials, then logon as the built in administrator
account and change the system clock to be well past a time where their
password would expire, reboot the computer and try to logon with the cached
credentials again to see what happens. --- Steve

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Please rest assured that cached credentials will not expired.

Password expiration policy in the domain will not apply to cached
credentials.

Also Cached Credentail will not expired at some point and prevent the user
logging on locally.

Thanks.

From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:17:36 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

-­----------------

:

| All -
|
| I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
| domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about
cached
| credentials.
|
| Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are
valid
| for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user
prompted
| that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If
the
| user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those
cached
| redentials?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Steven L Umbach

Thanks for verifying my findings! I suspected that a domain controller would
need to be contacted to verify password age. --- Steve

From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:17:36 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

-Ã,­----------------

:

| All -
|
| I've read quite a few (good) documents regarding the login process for
| domain clients, but I can't find very detailed information about
cached
| credentials.
|
| Sepcifically, I would like to know how long cached credentials are
valid
| for. Is this dependant on the domain password policy? Is the user
prompted
| that thier cached credntials are about to expire when logging in? If
the
| user's cached crednetials expire, are they allowed to change those
cached
| redentials?
|
| Any help is appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Glad to hear the information is helpful.

Have a good day.

From: "Steven L Umbach" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

From: =?Utf-8?B?TlJDIEhlbHA=?= <[email protected]>