Underline Hover Link problem.


G

Guest

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to FrontPage, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to set up my website so that an underline appears when
rolling-over any given link... no other text decoration.

Using the code (below) in a CSS, the site functions perfecting off-line. In
FP Design Mode, links do appear underlined, but function as they should in FP
Preview Mode or viewing the site on my PC (via Windows Explorer).

<style type="text/css">
A:link {text-decoration: none}
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:active {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</style>

However, when the site is published on-line to a FP supported server, access
the site via IE and all the links are underlined. Yet click on a link once,
and that link starts to function as intended.

Any ideas... please?

CJ
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Trevor L.

CeeJayUK said:
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to FrontPage, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to set up my website so that an underline appears when
rolling-over any given link... no other text decoration.

Using the code (below) in a CSS, the site functions perfecting
off-line. In FP Design Mode, links do appear underlined, but function
as they should in FP Preview Mode or viewing the site on my PC (via
Windows Explorer).

<style type="text/css">
A:link {text-decoration: none}
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:active {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</style>

However, when the site is published on-line to a FP supported server,
access the site via IE and all the links are underlined. Yet click on
a link once, and that link starts to function as intended.

Any ideas... please?

CJ

Just guessimg here.

But there is no spec for a
Try
a {text-decoration: none; }
a:hover {text-decoration: underline; }

Possibly it will make no difference at all and you'll have to wait for a CSS
expert to reply
 
G

Guest

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your quick reponse.

Excuse my ignorance of FP, I'm a real novice. Do you mean I should try
putting the line you suggested into the CSS code to read as below?:

<style type="text/css">
a {text-decoration: none; }
A:link {text-decoration: none}
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:active {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</style>

Thanks for your time,

CJ
 
T

Trevor L.

CeeJayUK said:
Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your quick reponse.

Excuse my ignorance of FP, I'm a real novice. Do you mean I should try
putting the line you suggested into the CSS code to read as below?:

<style type="text/css">
a {text-decoration: none; }
A:link {text-decoration: none}
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:active {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</style>

Thanks for your time,

CJ

More or less.

I suggest that the code reads
<style type="text/css">
a {text-decoration: none; }
a:hover {text-decoration: underline;}
</style>

Logically, it says.
*Every* link has no underline, no special colour, no decoration at all
*Except that* a hover over a link will underline the text.

Does your name mean you are in the UK?
Here in Aus it is 11 pm so I'm off to bed.

If this code makes no difference, let's wait for an expert somewhere else to
reply.
I'll have a look on the NG tomorrow morning - which is Australia Day.
 
G

Guest

Hi Trevor,

Yes I'm in the UK, specifically Manchester (sunny but very cold).

You won't need to loose any sleep on this issue, because you've resolved it!
It works !!!

Thanks very much and have a good Australia Day (now 43 minutes away).
 
Ad

Advertisements

T

Trevor L.

CeeJayUK said:
Hi Trevor,

Yes I'm in the UK, specifically Manchester (sunny but very cold).

You won't need to loose any sleep on this issue, because you've
resolved it! It works !!!

Thanks very much and have a good Australia Day (now 43 minutes away).

CeeJay

Terrific,
I wasn't 100% sure that it would work.

I visited UK in 2004, but it was in late May/early June. We were in Jersey
on D-Day and I think it was 30+deg C in London that day.

I often browse the NG at night, so it was no problem.

On Australia Day here in Canberra it is and sunny and *warm* - currently 24
and heading for 31 today and 34 tomorrow: very pleasant.
(Just heard that on the 11 a.m. ABC news).
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top