Unattended Install Dilemma

Jeff

I recently posted the unattended setup problem below, but
here is an update the problem --

I have discovered that I am able to upgrade the client
machines via the unattend.bat file that is automatically
created with the distribution share on the server if i
simply map the shared drive on the distrobution server to
the client computer, then execute the said unattend.bat
file. when doing this, instead of running a command from
the DOS prompt, it completes the unattended upgrade,
without complaining about an invalid product key. Any
idea why running this process via the .bat file would
work, and not the winnt32 prompt command? I have a winxp
resource kit documentation book and it mentions nothing
about using this .bat file, only winnt32.exe. It was
only on a whim that I decide to try this, and lo and
behold, it worked. Any ideas?

- Jeff

I've created a slipstreamed XP SP1 install from a server
here at work, and set up the distribution folders in
order to install/upgrade via unattended intalls.
However, while testing this out using a freshly installed
win2k on a laptop which i wish to upgrade to xp, it keeps
telling me that the product key in tha answer file is
wrong. Now, I know this key works, I've used this key
for creating our Ghost Images for other machines, but it
will not work for this unattended install setup. Does it
need an upgrade product key instead? Or should this one
work? I've tried several different keys, but none seem
to be working. Any ideas?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jeff,
What is in the bat file?
There shouldn't be any difference to running a commandline Winnt32 than
from running it inside a batch file from a mapped network drive.
you only need an upgrade key if you are using upgrade media.
What OS are you upgrading over?
How are you starting the upgrade? From a UNC or a mapped network drive?
What are all the swtiches that you are using?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Jeff

thanks for getting back to me darrell!

as far as I can tell, the bat file is the SAME info that
I am putting into the command line for winnt. my command
line usually looks something like this (where E: is the
mapped network drive) --

winnt32 /unattend:E:\unattend.txt /s:E:\i386

the bat file is the same, except instead of using mapped
drive letters, it uses the UNC naming convention
(\\Distrbution\windist\i386, etc) but it is doing the
exact same thing. However, like I said, using the bat
file doesnt give the Product Key error.

we are upgrading win2k machines to winxp pro w/sp1
slipstreamed into the distribution folder, with a volume
license key and volume license media.

I believe that I may have used the UNC addresses once
with the winnt32 command, but I cannot remember if it
worked or not. Even if it did, why would using the UNC
method cause a problem with a product key? I would
expect it would work or that it wouldnt work at all, as
it wouldnt be able to find the proper files.

- Jeff

From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Subject: Unattended Install Dilemma
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jeff,
It isn't supposed to make any difference as to whether you use a batch file
or run via the commandline.
It isn't supposed to make a difference if you use a UNC or if you map a
drive letter.
I would suspect the UNC path versus the mapped drive letter, myself. I
cannot see just using a batch file causing the issue.
I presume you are getting the error during the Winnt32 phase of setup about
the product key?
What product key is accepted when you get this error?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Yeah, i didnt see why the batch vs. CL would make any
difference either. but it does.

what happens when using the CL code is that it does start
the upgrade process. However, when it gets to the
Product Key screen, it stops and give the error message
that the "Product Key is invalid" and allows you to input
a different one. I have tried several of our volume keys
this way (full, upgrade, etc) and none of them worked.
However, when using the batch file, it didnt matter which
key was in there, they all seemed to work without a
hitch. It would breeze right through the product key
screen and begin upgrading.

As long as the batch file works, its necessarily isnt a
problem, but its just that there is no mention of this
issue, nor mention of the possibility of using the batch
file instead that makes this interesting. I've done
tests, and the installs work fine. That is my only
concern.

From: "Jeff" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jeff" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 05:22:51 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

and
confers no rights
From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

There is something wrong here I would like to understand why this is
happening.
Randomly I see this and I haven't been able to figure out why only a few
people run across this.
I haven't seen this myself, but I don't have a Windows 2000 box to upgrade
either.
You are upgrading over Windows 2000 Pro correct?
Have you tried using the Windows 2000 Pro volume key when it prompts you?
This is before the first reboot, correct?
What I suspect is that Winnt32.exe is not locating the path back install
share properly.
So when it tries to load the file to validate the product key, it cannot
find it, so it tries to load the wrong file to validate the product key.
Which is why I wonder if the one from Windows 2000 would work? ( you should
get prompted again in GUI mode for the correct one since the correct files
would now be local)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Upon inspection last week, i noticed that there was a
second unattend.txt file, but it resides in the /i386
folder, and is an example of a proper answer file. I
figured maybe, for some reason, the upgrade was trying to
read that file instead. So after toying with file names
between the "real" unattend.txt and the new one I had
found, I determined it was still reading the correct
unattend.txt, due to the fact that if setup cannot find
unattend.txt period, it will not start the upgrade. So
with the unattend.txt missing or renamed in the
root /windist directory, the upgrade simply wouldnt start
at all. Just a little factoid.

Yes, we are upgrading win2k machines. They have various
SP's installed as well, some have SP3, some SP2, some SP1.

I have not tried a win2k key to upgrade, but i will give
it a shot. Should I use an upgrade key, or a regular
install key? I believe we have both in our volume
licensing.

Not quite sure about your rebooting question, but the
machine never gets to reboot, as it doesnt get that far
while doing the upgrade. this happens immediately when
the upgrade starts, when it tries to validate the product
key. I cannot get ANY of our VALID keys to work when
reprompted. I basically have to back out and run
the .bat file instead.

From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Use whatever key is needed for the media that you have installed for
Windows 2000.
So if the media used to install Windows 2000 was upgrade media use that.
If the media used with Volume media use the Windows 2000 volume key.

Since I suspect ( OK am guessing would be more accurate) we are using the
files from the installed Windows 2000, rather than the source to validate
the media, we need to use a matching key to the media that you currently
have installed.

Ok so if it never reboots than we are still in Winnt32 mode, which is where
I suspected we were. Winnt32 will attempt to validate the product key
before continuing. All it does at this point is validate the product key
and then saves it for later. We actually apply the product key to the
install during the GUI mode proccess where you are prompted. We grab from
where it is saved and attempt to apply it, this is where we are failing.

The unattend.txt located in the \i386 folder may be used if the machine is
EMS capable and EMS is enabled.
Since this is without mouse, keyboard and monitor, the questions asked
during setup should be answered in this file.
See the article listed below for more infomation on EMS.
815273 HOW TO: Perform an Unattended Emergency Management Services
Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=815273
So it shouldn't be picked up by your installation, particularly since you
are running Winnt32 which is where most of the questions that are needed
are already asked.

To check your answer file settings you can also look at the $winnt$.inf
located in the \windows\system32 folder. Most of the unattended settings
should be migrated into this file as well as any questions answered during
the Winnt32 phase of setup.
Things like product keys and passwords are deleted from this file after
they are used so they do not remain on the system.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Jeff" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Jeff" <[email protected]>

From: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Sender: "Jeff" <jeff_mccormick@decco_NOSPAM_.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:10:00 -0700
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment