Unable to use SharePoint web shares offline in Vista

G

GT

I really don't know why you are calling that product SharePoint when you cannot share things as good as with real folders, but anyway, here is the problem:

1- I have a SharePoint 3.0 web site, with a Document Library.
2- I do access the SharePoint document library with its URL, similar to the following:
\\servername@SSL@444\DavWWWRoot
3- From Vista Ultimate, I right click on a folder in that share, and a context menu will open.
4- In the context menu, the item "Always Available Offline" is not there.

That option is only available for real windows shares, but I guess the SharePoint shares are something else maybe.

Anyway, how can I use the SharePoint Shares offline with Vista Ultimate?

Thank you.

A

Alexander Suhovey

GT,

AFAIK Offline Files never supported WebDAV shares, only for SMB ones so probably you will not be able to achieve what you want without additional applications. To seamlessly work on SharePoint files offline, you can use:

- Groove 2007
- Outlook 2007
- SyncToy 1.4

--
Alexander Suhovey

I really don't know why you are calling that product SharePoint when you cannot share things as good as with real folders, but anyway, here is the problem:

1- I have a SharePoint 3.0 web site, with a Document Library.
2- I do access the SharePoint document library with its URL, similar to the following:
\\servername@SSL@444\DavWWWRoot
3- From Vista Ultimate, I right click on a folder in that share, and a context menu will open.
4- In the context menu, the item "Always Available Offline" is not there.

That option is only available for real windows shares, but I guess the SharePoint shares are something else maybe.

Anyway, how can I use the SharePoint Shares offline with Vista Ultimate?

Thank you.

J

Jazz.Hiro

I have been the trouble with WebDav and Vista. I think this is a bug of WebDav function on Windows Vista, but I've found the solution at least.
Usually, Web root access (WWW) is allowed for anonymous users, so authentication level is checked on anonymous (IUSR_CompueterName). And WebDav folder is allowed for authenticated users, so authentication level is checked on anything but anonymous.
Through my test, Windows Auth was most stable. So I recommend Windows Auth for WebDav folder. And you “must” set the same authentication level as WebDav folder for the Web root (WWW). This point is important, but sometimes unusual. May be you have to reorganize your web site, though.

Thank you.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ask a Question