unable to schedule a task

I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive the error
0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not be set. Can anyone
help me with this. Thanks

MAP

Barb said:
I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive the
error 0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not be
set. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks

From www.kellys-korner.com

Task Scheduler - A scheduled task can be run without passwords

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit local account use of
blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable
it.

I don't have the pro version. I have windows wp 2002. I didn't see local
security policy. Is there somewhere else to look? Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Barb,

See if this command helps, from Start/Run

cmd /k net start "protected storage"

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive the error
0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not be set. Can
anyone
help me with this. Thanks

I tried that and it didn't work. I received a message that it was not found
on my system. Would there be a place to find my password? Everything was set
up for me when I purchased the computer so when I log onto my computer I just
click my name and all my settings comes up and when I go into schedule a task
and username is already filled in and it wants a password. I haven't had to
use a password before. Another question I have do I schedule the task to run
when I log on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Barb,

It looks like the "Protected Storage" service is missing in your system. To
restore the missing service, copy the following lines starting from the line
"Windows Registry Editor Version....." to Notepad, and save as
"ProtectedStorage.reg". Right-click the file and choose Merge. Restart
Windows.

- - - -
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtectedStorage]
"DependOnService"=hex(7):52,00,70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,00,00
"Description"="Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as
private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or
users."
"DisplayName"="Protected Storage"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6c,\
00,73,00,61,00,73,00,73,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
"Start"=dword:00000002
"Type"=dword:00000120

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtectedStorage\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_PROTECTEDSTORAGE\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

- - - -

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I tried that and it didn't work. I received a message that it was not found
on my system. Would there be a place to find my password? Everything was
set
up for me when I purchased the computer so when I log onto my computer I
just
click my name and all my settings comes up and when I go into schedule a
task
and username is already filled in and it wants a password. I haven't had to
use a password before. Another question I have do I schedule the task to
run
when I log on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I went under services and I found Protected Storage and it is set on
automatic and log on as local system and the task schedule is set on
automatic and local system. Is there another place to look for no passwords
required to run task? I had set the system scan to run for nav at 9:00 a.m.
this morning but when I looked in scheduled tasks it said the task could not
start. Any other idea's?
--
Barb

Ramesh said:
Barb,

See if this command helps, from Start/Run

cmd /k net start "protected storage"

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive the error
0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not be set. Can
anyone
help me with this. Thanks

David Candy

Will you stop posting this. It is a wrong and stupid thing to do. Do you know what it does? If not then why post it? If so then you are malicious.

Just because you find something on the web doesn't make it fact. I'm not going to tell you why - that's your homework. Find out what it does before telling people to use it. HINT You can set this in local security policy.

David Candy

Another hint. LSA has a help file.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message Will you stop posting this. It is a wrong and stupid thing to do. Do you know what it does? If not then why post it? If so then you are malicious.

Just because you find something on the web doesn't make it fact. I'm not going to tell you why - that's your homework. Find out what it does before telling people to use it. HINT You can set this in local security policy.

Kerry Brown

Why don't you just add a password to your account? Using a computer without
a password and in particular allowing scheduled tasks without a password is
not very secure.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;279783

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ramesh said:
Barb,

See if this command helps, from Start/Run

cmd /k net start "protected storage"

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive
the error 0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not
be set. Can anyone
help me with this. Thanks

David Candy

There is but you don't want to be doing that anyway. You need to create a password protected account.

I went in under my user name and created a password. When I went in to
schedule a task I still get the error keyset oX80090016 information could not
be found. When i got my computer I was set as the administrator of the
computer. Should I try setting up a new user and trying to schedule a task
that way? Thanks Barb
--
Barb

:

Barb,

See if this command helps, from Start/Run

cmd /k net start "protected storage"

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I'm unable to schedule a task. I don't have a password. I'm the
administrator of the computer. When I schedule a task I receive
the error 0X80090016 keyset error the account information could not
be set. Can anyone
help me with this. Thanks

David Candy

Your previous post implied you had fixed that error. The error number for no password is 0x80070005 (Access Denied) with a message of .
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246183