Unable to run Update or XP SP2 Install

I am looking for an answer to a problem whereby Update.exe fails with Setup
Error "The System cannot find the file specified" and also any ActiveX
control fails to run with "Your current settings prohibit running ActiveX
controls....."
I have removed all malware and virus scanned. I am also convinced that it is
to do with the authentication process of modules (i.e. Trusted
certification). Other symtoms include the lack of the Digital Signature tab
when viewing properties of any Security Catalog file *.CAT.
Any possible answers?
TIA Don Scott

I have had the same problem exactly. Plus some of my programs run slowly and
do not respond. I am trying to find a solution and when i do i'll let you know

Rock

Don said:
I am looking for an answer to a problem whereby Update.exe fails with Setup
Error "The System cannot find the file specified" and also any ActiveX
control fails to run with "Your current settings prohibit running ActiveX
controls....."
I have removed all malware and virus scanned. I am also convinced that it is
to do with the authentication process of modules (i.e. Trusted
certification). Other symtoms include the lack of the Digital Signature tab
when viewing properties of any Security Catalog file *.CAT.
Any possible answers?
TIA Don Scott

You might also want to post this to the experts in the Windows Update
Newsgroup: