Unable To Play Game

Reaction score
I just purchased Rome Total War, downloaded it, and now I keep getting the message "Rome Total War: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit".

Any advice or suggestions to help me with this little problem would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Spud

Welcome to PCR..
Does your system meet the requirements of the game..?
What OS are you running..? Is the game compatible with that OS..?
Have you checked the game manufacturers site if anybody else has this problem..??

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I have it, is old hat now but good game, it says on the box you require at least;

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Pentium 3, 1Ghz or AMD Athlon 1Ghz
256MB RAM
64MB Graphics card Direct X 9

Only problem i have is playing it on Vista, colours go crazy and you can change compatability but it don't help.

Edit: Where did you download it from???

Reaction score
First make sure you have the icon on your desktop, just drag it on if its not already there.

Then right click it and click on properties, you should now see a compatibility tab on the top, click it. set the mode to windows 98/ windows Me and tick the box to run it in that compatibility.

Click apply then ok and try re launching the game this should hope fully work for you.

Reaction score
chowie said:
First make sure you have the icon on your desktop, just drag it on if its not already there.

Then right click it and click on properties, you should now see a compatibility tab on the top, click it. set the mode to windows 98/ windows Me and tick the box to run it in that compatibility.

Click apply then ok and try re launching the game this should hope fully work for you.

Erm as to avoid confusion here..You do not have to make sure you have the icon on your desktop to check the compatibility.....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
spudmc007 said:
I just purchased Rome Total War, downloaded it, and now I keep getting the message "Rome Total War: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit".

Any advice or suggestions to help me with this little problem would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Did you pay for it?

If you did, list your computer specifications.

If you didn't pay for it, then what do you expect? :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Erm as to avoid confusion here..You do not have to make sure you have the icon on your desktop to check the compatibility.....

True dat.

You can right click on any link to the game's exe file - like the link in the start programs list - and you can then access the compatibility facility.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
True dat.

You can right click on any link to the game's exe file - like the link in the start programs list - and you can then access the compatibility facility.

if i didn't pay for it, i wouldn't be posting here. come on now.

specs;
windows xp
intel pentium 4
cpu 2.00 ghz
2.o gb of ram

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First you need to check that your download isn't corrupted.

Download Digest It which is a free software program to check md5 sums.

Get the md5 sum number for the download of the game from the site where you bought it and check the file.

If the game checks out ok, uninstall it, reinstall it and make sure it's patched.

Also make sure you have the latest video and sound drivers installed.

You didn't list which video card or motherboard you have but on the brief spec you supplied the game should run easily.

Ask a Question