Unable to Ping HP 4050 Printer IP Address

G

HP 4050 printer failed to install on windows 2003 server. Printer was using DLC protocol on NT4 domain. I switched it over to TCP/IP with an address of 192.168.1.21 on the NT4 print server and at the printer(HP JetDirect). When tried to ping address from 2003 server - failed. Can ping this address from NT4 workstation, Server, XP Pro workstation, and from Windows 2003 AD domain server. The 2003 server in question can ping all other addresses and names except for one in question 192.168.1.21. Changed HP Printer to use DHCP - found new address of 192.168.1.80 - still could not ping new address or DNS name of printer from 2003 server in question, but can ping and use printer from all other servers and workstations.

Need to know how to fix this odd behavior, seems the failed install initially makes it impossible to now use that printer from this particular 2003 server, I need to fix because I want this server to be my printer server

Thanks for your help in advance

Mat

P.S. - a similar post was in network section dated 1-21-04 but never answered - "Subject: unable to ping a particular address

N

nut cracker

you might try telnetting to the ip on port 23 or 515. ICMP may be blocked in
the jetdirect setup.

23 is the telnet port (by which it should be configurable) and 515 is the
LPR TCP port that would be used by your 2003 server to connect to.

NuTs

Matt said:
HP 4050 printer failed to install on windows 2003 server. Printer was
using DLC protocol on NT4 domain. I switched it over to TCP/IP with an
address of 192.168.1.21 on the NT4 print server and at the printer(HP
JetDirect). When tried to ping address from 2003 server - failed. Can ping
this address from NT4 workstation, Server, XP Pro workstation, and from
Windows 2003 AD domain server. The 2003 server in question can ping all
other addresses and names except for one in question 192.168.1.21. Changed
HP Printer to use DHCP - found new address of 192.168.1.80 - still could not
ping new address or DNS name of printer from 2003 server in question, but
can ping and use printer from all other servers and workstations.
Need to know how to fix this odd behavior, seems the failed install
initially makes it impossible to now use that printer from this particular
2003 server, I need to fix because I want this server to be my printer
server.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt

P.S. - a similar post was in network section dated 1-21-04 but never
answered - "Subject: unable to ping a particular address"

J

Jeff Cochran

HP 4050 printer failed to install on windows 2003 server. Printer was using DLC protocol on NT4 domain. I switched it over to TCP/IP with an address of 192.168.1.21 on the NT4 print server and at the printer(HP JetDirect). When tried to ping address from 2003 server - failed. Can ping this address from NT4 workstation, Server, XP Pro workstation, and from Windows 2003 AD domain server. The 2003 server in question can ping all other addresses and names except for one in question 192.168.1.21. Changed HP Printer to use DHCP - found new address of 192.168.1.80 - still could not ping new address or DNS name of printer from 2003 server in question, but can ping and use printer from all other servers and workstations.

Need to know how to fix this odd behavior, seems the failed install initially makes it impossible to now use that printer from this particular 2003 server, I need to fix because I want this server to be my printer server.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt

P.S. - a similar post was in network section dated 1-21-04 but never answered - "Subject: unable to ping a particular address"

Need more input. :)

Is the server in the same logical network? Same cabling? No firewall
or router between?

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the server and post the results. Post the IP,
Netmask and DG from the printer.

Jeff

Ask a Question