Unable to open your default E-Mail Folders. You do not have permission to log on.

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im about to pull my hair out here. I have been using my profile on my PC for about 3 years. All of a sudden about 3 weeks ago, I could not access my emails. Outlook opened up fine in the morning and was fine. Then all of a sudden I got a message telling me i did not have access to the inbox. I closed Outlook and reopened it yet it said "Cannot open your default E-mail folders. You do not have permission to log on"
To get around this, I deleted my profile from my PC.
Restarted my PC, logged on again with my existing account. It thought i was a fresh user on the PC and when i opened Outlook, it thought i was a new user. I therefore set up the profile with the Exchange details. I could then access my Emails fine again.

Some time later that day, I lost my ability to get my emails again and had to repeat the process. Im now doing this almost twice daily to get my emails working again and its driving me mad. Does anyone know a way around this? Why is it losing my email profile and ability to log on?

We are using MS Exhange 2000 and Outlook 2002
Im set up in Active Directory with full administrator rights so It cant be that.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Reaction score
Work around.

After more investigation, I found out that I can get around the problem thus...

When I log into our OWA from my machine AFTER it has lost the connection to my outlook profile, (via the IE Browser) it thinks im the ADMINISTRATOR. Therefore I gave the Administrator account full access to my mailbox.

When I tried to reopen my mailbox AFTER i lost connecton but AFTER i had given the admin account access to my mailbox, everything worked fine!

Very odd as it still says my username next to my inbox and not the administrators!

Very odd, not sure why i works but it does!

A proper definition would be appreciated but in case others are having this problem, this definitely works!

Ask a Question