Unable to Display Local GIF

I have a web page which I develop on my XP Home Edition PC (with SP2), then
upload to a server. I have a GIF file which I want to display on the page. It
displays correctly in other browsers (Firefox, Opera), but I get a red X in
IE6. Deleting all temporary internet files and cookies does not resolve the
problem.

When I upload to my server, it does display correctly in IE. So the problem
seems to be related to the fact that it's a local file. There are also JPG
files on my page, and these display correctly, so the problem is restricted
to GIFs. When I use the IE open dialog to open the GIF file directly, if the
file association for .gif is Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, it opens
correctly there. However, if I change the file association to use IE instead,
and then use the IE open dialog to open it, I naturally get the red X. The
page is quite simple - it does not use scripts, cookies, or ActiveX controls.
I am using Norton Internet Security - results are same whether it is enabled
or disabled. Any ideas on what might be wrong here?

Don Varnau

Hi,
When trying to view the page from your HD, are you sure that the link to the
GIF is correct? Does the link use a relative path?

If you drag and drop the GIF file into an IE window, will IE open it?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Yes, I am sure the link is correct. It does use a relative path, as do the
links to the JPEGs, which work correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by dragging and dropping onto an IE window.
However, in Windows Explorer, when I right click on the file and choose "Open
With", then choose "Internet Explorer", I get the red X. Same result as when
I try to open the file directly from IE. I suppose it could have something to
do with the file (other GIFs on my hard drive open correctly), but, since the
file displays correctly in other browsers, and even in IE on a web server, I
don't know what the problem could be.

Owen Leibman said:
[...]

Okay, I understand the "drag and drop" part now - interesting feature. At any
rate, I get a red X when I try it with this file, but success with the JPEGs.

Owen Leibman said:
[...]

It does sound like it might be a bad file, but...
Longshots...
1. Check the registry settings in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307239
2. If you have these registry keys, export them (just in case) then delete
them.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\ftp
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\http

GetRight installs these keys, but uninstalling GetRight doesn't remove the
keys.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Owen Leibman" <OwenLeibman[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions, but ...
1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif Content Type was already image/gif.
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\ftp and
http did not exist.
I appreciate your suggestions thus far. Any other tricks up your sleeve?

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Sorry... no more ideas. Puzzling that IE can display a GIF on a webpage but
can't open one from the HD.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

: