"Turn Off Computer" When Exiting From Screen Saver

M and D

I can exit out of my screen saver by moving my mouse. Most of the time, this brings me right back to the desktop without a problem. But sometimes, when I exit my screen saver, Windows XP will display the "Turn off computer" message and I have to click on the Cancel button to get rid of it. And sometimes the "Turn off computer" message will reappear, so I have to click on Cancel again. On occasion I've had to cancel the "Turn off computer" message several times before I can finally get back to work.

How can I fix this? Seems to me XP shouldn't display the "Turn off computer" message when I exit my screen saver. Thanks for any help.

Steven

Wesley Vogel

To get rid of the screen saver password.

Right click the Desktop | Properties | Screen Saver tab |
UNSelect the On resume, password protect check box.
If Fast User Switching is turned on, UNSelect the On resume, display Welcome
screen check box. | Click Apply | Click OK

On resume
[[Specifies whether the logon window is displayed when you resume using
the computer after the screen saver has started running. If logging on
requires a password, you will have to type the password when you resume
work.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

M and D

Shouldn't you have asked some questions instead of presuming to know how I setup my computer?

The problem turned out to be a program installed in my 4-year old's account that was not closing properly, which in turn prevented his account from logging off properly. I had to uninstall and reinstall the program to fix the problem.

Good luck to you.

Steven

M and D said:
I can exit out of my screen saver by moving my mouse. Most of the time,
this brings me right back to the desktop without a problem. But
sometimes, when I exit my screen saver, Windows XP will display the "Turn
off computer" message and I have to click on the Cancel button to get rid
of it. And sometimes the "Turn off computer" message will reappear, so I
have to click on Cancel again. On occasion I've had to cancel the "Turn
off computer" message several times before I can finally get back to
work.

How can I fix this? Seems to me XP shouldn't display the "Turn off
computer" message when I exit my screen saver. Thanks for any help.

Steven

DP

Shouldn't you have asked some questions instead of presuming to know how I
setup my computer?

Shouldn't you have provided those details at the outset instead of
criticizing someone who was trying to help you ?

Talk about kicking a gift horse in the teeth.

Wesley Vogel

Shouldn't you have asked some questions instead of presuming to know how
I setup my computer?

You are correct.

The first thing that I should have asked was, "Do you have a four year old?"

Making Good Newsgroup Posts
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

MAKE A GOOD NEWSGROUP POST

Newsgroups - Unanswered Questions
http://www.michna.com/kb/Newsgroups.htm

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

M and D said:
I can exit out of my screen saver by moving my mouse. Most of the time,
this brings me right back to the desktop without a problem. But
sometimes, when I exit my screen saver, Windows XP will display the
"Turn off computer" message and I have to click on the Cancel button to
get rid of it. And sometimes the "Turn off computer" message will
reappear, so I have to click on Cancel again. On occasion I've had to
cancel the "Turn off computer" message several times before I can
finally get back to work.

How can I fix this? Seems to me XP shouldn't display the "Turn off
computer" message when I exit my screen saver. Thanks for any help.

Steven

M and D

Look, find another target for your condescension. I'm not going to waste any more time on these newsgroups.

Pat yourself on the back Mr. MVP. You won.

Steven

Wesley Vogel said:
To get rid of the screen saver password.

Right click the Desktop | Properties | Screen Saver tab |
UNSelect the On resume, password protect check box.
If Fast User Switching is turned on, UNSelect the On resume, display
Welcome screen check box. | Click Apply | Click OK

On resume
[[Specifies whether the logon window is displayed when you resume using
the computer after the screen saver has started running. If logging on
requires a password, you will have to type the password when you resume
work.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In M and D <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
I can exit out of my screen saver by moving my mouse. Most of the time,
this brings me right back to the desktop without a problem. But
sometimes, when I exit my screen saver, Windows XP will display the
"Turn off computer" message and I have to click on the Cancel button to
get rid of it. And sometimes the "Turn off computer" message will
reappear, so I have to click on Cancel again. On occasion I've had to
cancel the "Turn off computer" message several times before I can
finally get back to work.

How can I fix this? Seems to me XP shouldn't display the "Turn off
computer" message when I exit my screen saver. Thanks for any help.

Steven

DP

Bye.

Look, find another target for your condescension. I'm not going to waste any
more time on these newsgroups.

Wesley Vogel

I won nothing.

Go p*** off someone else that's trying to help you.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{EBD80F8A-FFA1-4EB7-A1C2-9EC6BC05F8BC}\Software
\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Block Senders\News\Criteria\00C
Value Name: Value
Data Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: (e-mail address removed)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

M and D said:
[...]

ya

Look, find another target for your condescension. I'm not going to waste any more time on these newsgroups.

Don't think any group of people trying to help you, deserves somebody as
you......