trying to install iTunes on XP

Mark Wilson

The following options have been known to resolve this error message in the
majority of cases:

1. Reinstall the InstallScript engine by running the ISScript.msi file
located in the following location:
<ProgramFiles>\InstallShield\Developer\Redist\Language Independent\i386

2. Upgrade to the latest version of InstallShield Developer, as this error
has been known to occur more frequently in older versions.

3. If running on a Windows XP machine, make sure the setup is not running
from a virtual drive created via the 'subst' command.

4. Properly register the file IDriver.exe by using the following command
line:
<ProgramFiles>\Common Files\InstallShield\Developer\7\Intel 32\IDriver.exe
/REGSERVER
This command line can be entered in the Windows Start | Run dialog, after
replacing <ProgramFiles> with the location of the Program Files directory.

5. Follow the steps below to set the proper permissions to the
<WindowsFolder>\Installer folder:
Locate the folder <WindowsFolder>\Installer. (For example, on Windows 2000,
this folder would be C:\WINNT\Installer.)*
Right-click the Installer folder, and choose Properties. Select the
Security tab. Make sure the system, as well as the specific user, has full
control of this
folder.
*Note: This folder is hidden by default in the Windows environment.
Therefore, it may be necessary to enter this path directly in the Windows
Start | Run dialog to access this folder.

6. Properly register the file msiexec.exe by using the following command
line:
<WindowsFolder>\System32\msiexec.exe /REGSERVER
This command line can be entered in the Windows Start | Run dialog, after
replacing <WindowsFolder> with the location of the Windows folder.

7. After registering the file msiexec.exe manually, open the Microsoft
Windows Event Viewer if the error still occurs. This is accessible in the
Windows Control Panel, under Administrative Tools on Windows 2000 machines.
For other operating systems, search the Windows Help for the term Event
Viewer to locate this utility. If the registration of the file msiexec.exe
failed, it may appear in this viewer. Double-click the error to read
details on why it failed. If it failed due to the MSI engine originally
being installed from a network location that no longer exists, map this
drive letter (available in the Tools pull-down menu of Windows Explorer) on
this machine and run the setup again to resolve this behavior.

8. Make sure you have full administrative permissions for this Windows
machine.

9. Make sure no other MSI-based installations are running simultaneously.

10. Reinstall the Windows operating system, as this error has been known to
occur in corrupted environments.

Note: this is a general copy from the installshield website on this
specific error.
http://support.installshield.com/kb/ Article Q107070

Other helpful articles concerning InstallShield installation problems
Q105416
<http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105416>

Mark Wilson [MS]
rights."