Try my freeware

Will McGugan

elaich said:
[email protected]:

This looks great. Am posting a link in alt.support.diabetes. Thanks, Will.

I actually posted on alt.s.d recently. I had a lot of feedback from
diabetics, which surprised me because I had thought that it would be
most popular amongst dieters..

Will

Will McGugan

Anti_Freak_Machine said:
Downloaded Food File and love it.
I KNEW whale wasn't healthy for me, but now I have proof.

Actualy Beluga meat is high in protein and only .5% fat! Keep eating
those beluga-burgers! :p

Will

ellis_jay

Will said:
Hi folks,

Can I just alert you to my freeware software..

Food File (food database)
http://www.kelpiesoft.com/applib/foodfile/index.htm

There are also a few things on the following page, you may be
interested http://www.willmcgugan.com/

I'd like to release more freeware in between commercial projects, so
if you have any ideas, please let me know..

Regards,

Will McGugan

Nice food site........thanx

Ellis_jay

Susan Bugher

Will said:

Some similar apps are listed here (Will McGugan's app hasn't been added yet):

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#6.06Nutritional;Diet

I did a little comparison yesterday between Food File, Food Composition and Search Program for USDA
National Nutrient Database.

Program: Food Composition
Author: Siesta Software
Ware: (Registerware) (Nagware)
http://www.siestasoftware.com/

Program: Search Program for USDA National Nutrient Database
Author: USA: USDA
Ware: Freeware
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/index.html
(there's a Webware version too and one for the Palm OS)

Food Composition uses an abbreviated version of Release 13 of the USDA Nutrient Database. The USDA
app is much bigger (13688 KB vs. 1608 KB) - it was recently updated from SR16 to SR17. I couldn't
find any specifics about the USDA database info that Food File (4514 KB) uses.

Food Composition and the USDA app both allow you to adjust the units and serving size and display
the nutritional info for that amount. Food File does not. I regard that as a *major* disadvantage.

I would like to be able to *USE* the nutrient data - not just look at it. I'd like to be able to
create an analysis of a recipe, count calories, etc. etc. etc. None of the above apps makes that
easy - the USDA app will print the nutrients list (perhaps print to a file?).

I think EGUsda and EGDiet look promising - haven't tried them yet:

Program: EGUsda
Author: (Eitan Gilboa)
Install: n.i.
Ware: (Freeware)
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eitang/

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eitang/myinfo.htm#EGUSDA

<q>
EGUSDA
EGUsda is a database of 6200 foods, taken from the United States Department of Agriculture, with up
to 60 nutrients per food, vitamines, all sorts of fat, calories etc. The interface is very easy and
intuitive. It includes an internal Help with the USDA web site address. For each food you can
generate a report with all the information in the database, and add the relevant data to any or all
of the three EGDiet food databases.

The files are delivered in two groups because the data is not going to change, while the executable
is <g> so in future updates you only need to download the smaller file.

Download EGUSDA - DATA 1.6 MB
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eitang/files/egusda.zip

Download EGUSDA - Executable 0.3 MB
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eitang/files/usdaexe.zip

EGDIET
EGDiet allows keeping track of your weight and daily food intakes for each day. It manages up to 36
different "persons", like, for example, the whole family, and that in either French or English :).
The foods database is not yet completely translated. There are 700 foods in English names and 300 in
French. The internal help is in both languages.

Since April 11th, EGDiet has 2020 food items, all in one file. It also comes with a French-only food
database (1300 items) as well as an English only database (720 items). the user can select either of
the files for normal use.

Since April 6th, EGDiet follows up (optionally) your Blood Sugar Level, graphics and all...

<snip>

Download EGDiet2 632k
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eitang/files/egdiet2.zip
</q>

to be continued. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Will McGugan

Author: Siesta Software
Ware: (Registerware) (Nagware)

Author: USA: USDA
Ware: Freeware
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/index.html
(there's a Webware version too and one for the Palm OS)

Food Composition uses an abbreviated version of Release 13 of the USDA
Nutrient Database. The USDA app is much bigger (13688 KB vs. 1608 KB) -
it was recently updated from SR16 to SR17. I couldn't find any specifics
about the USDA database info that Food File (4514 KB) uses.

Food Composition and the USDA app both allow you to adjust the units and
serving size and display the nutritional info for that amount. Food File
does not. I regard that as a *major* disadvantage.

If you click on the title of the first column next to the pie chart you
can adjust the amount / units. Although, it doesnt change the detailed
nutritional content - I will probably add that in a later version.

Food File uses Release 18 of the USDA database (most recent). It also
uses the abbreviated version (which contains the same number of foods as
the full database). The extra information in the full database is
probably only of any use to scientists and researchers..

Thanks for the information on the competition!

Will

Susan Bugher

Will said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

If you click on the title of the first column next to the pie chart you
can adjust the amount / units. Although, it doesnt change the detailed
nutritional content - I will probably add that in a later version.

Thank you and my apologies. I did figure that out and then forgot.
Food File uses Release 18 of the USDA database (most recent). It also
uses the abbreviated version (which contains the same number of foods as
the full database). The extra information in the full database is
probably only of any use to scientists and researchers..

Do you have a URL for info about SR 18 - I've only found SR 17:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/dnload/sr17dnld.html
Thanks for the information on the competition!

I thought you might be interested. :) It's nice to see more apps available. I went looking for
diet and/or diabetic software some years ago (when a young grandson became diabetic) and found only
Food Composition. Please keep us posted on updates to Food File.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Will McGugan

Susan said:
Do you have a URL for info about SR 18 - I've only found SR 17:

It doesn't appear to be linked from the main page, I found it by
changing 17 to 18 in the url!

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR18/sr18.html

I thought you might be interested. :) It's nice to see more apps
available. I went looking for diet and/or diabetic software some years
ago (when a young grandson became diabetic) and found only Food
Composition. Please keep us posted on updates to Food File.

Will do.

Will

KiwiBrian

"Will McGugan" wrote
I'd like to release more freeware in between commercial projects, so if
you have any ideas, please let me know..

How about a program that can be pointed to an html file which contains
embedded CSS (not inline, but embedded) and identifies which styles are not
actually used in the body of the html.
I have not found any application that can do this and I would have thought
that it would be a fairly straight-forward programming project.

Brian Tozer

Will McGugan

KiwiBrian said:
"Will McGugan" wrote

How about a program that can be pointed to an html file which contains
embedded CSS (not inline, but embedded) and identifies which styles are not
actually used in the body of the html.
I have not found any application that can do this and I would have thought
that it would be a fairly straight-forward programming project.

Not too difficult to do, but limited appeal I'd imagine.

Python would be the best tool for this job..

Will

Sietse Fliege

John said:
You might want to submit your software to these sites too:

A1B2C3 Freeware: http://www.a1b2c3.com/free/
Freeware Arena: http://www.freewarearena.com/html2/
Freeware Home: http://freewarehome.com/
Freeware World Team: http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php
FreewareWeb: http://www.freewareweb.com/software.shtml
MajorGeeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/

and I'm sure there are others people can recommend.

Freeware Arena has been a good site in the past, but unfortunately has
become useless for new submissions and updates (because of personal
circomstances, I believe).

Try e.g. : Total new downloads for last 360 days:
<http://www.freewarearena.com/html2/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=NewDownloa
ds&newdownloadshowdays=360> (line wraps)

John Corliss

Sietse said:
Freeware Arena has been a good site in the past, but unfortunately has
become useless for new submissions and updates (because of personal
circomstances, I believe).

Try e.g. : Total new downloads for last 360 days:
<http://www.freewarearena.com/html2/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=NewDownloa
ds&newdownloadshowdays=360> (line wraps)

Thanks for pointing this out Sietse. I actually did have second thought
about including them in the list. I'll keep it bookmarked, but if time
goes by and it becomes evident that the site is no longer being
maintained, I'll drop it.

John Fitzsimons

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:18:04 +0100, Will McGugan

I'd like to release more freeware in between commercial projects, so if
you have any ideas, please let me know..

Sure. Suppose one has 100 HTML files. Two have incorrect spelling
content. Other than opening the files one by one how could you
find/fix the two files ?

A simple, straightforward, GUI approach would be nice.

IF you think you could handle such a challenge then you can let me
know by email (after de-spamming my email address).

Thanks. :)

Regards, John.

Mel

Sure. Suppose one has 100 HTML files. Two have incorrect spelling
content. Other than opening the files one by one how could you
find/fix the two files ?

Ever had to replace a paragraph or block of text or code in all of your
html or any type files at one time? Sure, you could load all the files
into your html editor or word processor and edit the files manually or
even use its search and replace feature. But does it support mutliple
lines of text? Even if it does, it would take a long time to load each
and every file if you have many. TextWiz handles this task nicely and
many more, not only just on files but on blocks of text from the
clipboard as well.

Features:
- Multi-line search and replace in any number of files from the same
folder.
- Optionally backs up files before making changes.
- Optionally just searches for text in multiple files, returning a list
of filenames that contain the text.
- Option to view files in either its own window, Windows Notepad, or
default application.
- Can extract Meta tags from html files for manipulation.
- Upload files via FTP right from within the program.
- Counts lines, words, and characters in any file.
- Counts number of occurrences of a specific keyword or phrase in any
file.
- Monitors clipboard for text (just like Text Tally), tallying number
of lines, words, characters, and optionally, occurrences of a
specific keyword or phrase in the text.
- System Tray operation.
- "Favorites" menu for easy access to frequently used folders.
- Clear entire contents of "Text to Search For:" and "Text to Replace
With:" boxes with one click.

http://www.dirfile.com/textwiz.htm

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?4000000037599

Will McGugan

John said:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:18:04 +0100, Will McGugan

Sure. Suppose one has 100 HTML files. Two have incorrect spelling
content. Other than opening the files one by one how could you
find/fix the two files ?

A simple, straightforward, GUI approach would be nice.

IF you think you could handle such a challenge then you can let me
know by email (after de-spamming my email address).

Thanks. :)

Python script, dictionary file. Piece of non-gui cake :)

Will

Susan Bugher

Will said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

It doesn't appear to be linked from the main page, I found it by
changing 17 to 18 in the url!

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR18/sr18.html

Very clever of you. Thanks Will. (Wish I'd been bright enough to try that.) ;)

TIA - looking forward to that.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Fitzsimons

Python script, dictionary file. Piece of non-gui cake :)

Well, I know Python is great BUT I don't know enough about it to do
the required coding. In any case I find command line programs to be
excellent......but tedious. As I can never remember the correct
syntax.

That is why I specifically said "GUI".

So I guess your answer was a "no". :-(

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Mel

Thanks but what has that to do with my query ? No mention of spell
checking on that site or the info I snipped.

Regards, John.
Multiple File Search (for misspelled words) and Replace with (Correctly
Spelled Words).

It wasn't clear the you had a Spell Checker in mind. ;-)

John Corliss

Will said:
Hi folks,

Can I just alert you to my freeware software..

Food File (food database)
http://www.kelpiesoft.com/applib/foodfile/index.htm

There are also a few things on the following page, you may be interested
http://www.willmcgugan.com/

I'd like to release more freeware in between commercial projects, so if
you have any ideas, please let me know..

Will,
Your I consider your otherwise excellent program to be adware, since
when you open it there is a very conspicuous ad for your shareware
recipe program in the right hand frame.

Sorry, but I don't use adware so I'm removing it from my system.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like "Chrissy Cruiser", for instance.

Will McGugan

John said:
Will,
Your I consider your otherwise excellent program to be adware, since
when you open it there is a very conspicuous ad for your shareware
recipe program in the right hand frame.

Sorry, but I don't use adware so I'm removing it from my system.

I see. Thank you so much for letting me know.

Will