Best freeware ever

Will McGugan

Hi folks,

I often read posts about people looking for freeware that performs a
task that is often too specific to find an idea solution. As a
programmer I'm often in the position to solve those problems writing a
Python (my favorite language) script.

Not everyone is a programmer, nor wants to be - but I wonder how many
people are aware that Python is itself freeware how remarkably easy it
is to us?. You can send emails, download / generate web pages, process
images, create zip files - all sorts of things, and it is one of the
easiest languages to learn.

Heres a link to the Python home page..

http://www.python.org/

Will McGugan

Mel

Hi folks,

I often read posts about people looking for freeware that performs a
task that is often too specific to find an idea solution. As a
programmer I'm often in the position to solve those problems writing a
Python (my favorite language) script.

Not everyone is a programmer, nor wants to be - but I wonder how many
people are aware that Python is itself freeware how remarkably easy it
is to us?. You can send emails, download / generate web pages, process
images, create zip files - all sorts of things, and it is one of the
easiest languages to learn.

Heres a link to the Python home page..

http://www.python.org/

Will McGugan
FYI: The Best of The Best in Freeware is called Pricelessware around
here: Each Year ACF Participants Nominate the Best Freeware and then the
Nominated Freeware is Voted upon by the ACF Participants. The results of
the voting determines whether or not a Freeware Program is Included on
the Pricelessware List (Currently PL2005).

You may be interested in other Programming Freeware that appears on
PL2005:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005PROGRAMMING.php

PS: The Nominations and Voting for PL2006 will be taking place shortly.

Susan Bugher

dadiOH springs to mind. . . I expect he'll be along shortly to sing its praises. ;)
FYI: The Best of The Best in Freeware is called Pricelessware around
here: Each Year ACF Participants Nominate the Best Freeware and then the
Nominated Freeware is Voted upon by the ACF Participants. The results of
the voting determines whether or not a Freeware Program is Included on
the Pricelessware List (Currently PL2005).

As Mel pointed out Python is on the Pricelessware List - a pretty good indication that it's
well-known around here. If you'd like a quick reference for Pricelessware 2005 programs (aka a cheat
sheet) ;) see:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005ProgramIndex.php

If you want to appear truly knowledgeable about Pricelessware see this page for all Pricelessware
programs - past and present:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/CumulativePL.php

or this page (sort it on the PW column):

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php
PS: The Nominations and Voting for PL2006 will be taking place shortly.

and you are invited to participate. See this page for more info:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Amamba

I visited Pricelessware site and was quite surprised that some well
known applications weren't even mentioned. E.g. there's no mention of
TrueCrypt in security section (even though it seems to be the most
widely used free OTFE package). No mention of Sygate in firewalls; no
Keepass in password managers; no Avast in antivirus; no Avant in
browser shells, etc. All of the above are well known and often the
leading freeware applications in their respective segments.

Mel

I visited Pricelessware site and was quite surprised that some well
known applications weren't even mentioned. E.g. there's no mention of
TrueCrypt in security section (even though it seems to be the most
widely used free OTFE package). No mention of Sygate in firewalls; no
Keepass in password managers; no Avast in antivirus; no Avant in
browser shells, etc. All of the above are well known and often the
leading freeware applications in their respective segments.
LOL!

You gots to be a TROLL... ;-)

Susan Bugher

Mel said:
LOL!

You gots to be a TROLL... ;-)

That's a thought. . . if not here's the scoop. . .

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

One of the "examples" (Keepass) is absent (it's on my to-do list). The other apps are listed and
they're rather easy to find. . . There's a search link on every page that let's you specify the
entire site or the PL2005 or ACF or ACFG directory - or see the ACF Program Index page for a list
and links to the most recent info on the web site for each app:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Amamba

What, everybody who says something you don't like is a troll ? Life
must be very hard for poor Mel, hiding in a dark corner, surrounded by
trolls everywhere...

I go to the Pricelessware.com, click on 2005 list and then on Security.
There's no mention of Truecrypt, Keepass, Sygate of Avast on that page.
There's no mention of lesser although equally well known and widely
used apps like dsCrypt (the smallest and most portable file encryptor I
could ever find), or Dekart PrivateDisk Lite, or CrossCrypt, etc.

Now, it may well be that Truecrypt etc. is mentioned _somewhere_ on the
web site, but definitely not on the 2005 Security page that most people
would intuitively look at.

Again, that was just my observation, no need to get all insecure and
defensive about it.

Mel

I go to the Pricelesswarehome.com, click on 2005 list and then on Security.
There's no mention of Truecrypt, Keepass, Sygate of Avast on that page.
There's no mention of lesser although equally well known and widely
used apps like dsCrypt (the smallest and most portable file encryptor I
could ever find), or Dekart PrivateDisk Lite, or CrossCrypt, etc.

Now, it may well be that Truecrypt etc. is mentioned _somewhere_ on the
web site, but definitely not on the 2005 Security page that most people
would intuitively look at.
If you review the following page:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php

It may give you some insight as to why the examples given do not appear
on the 2005 Pricelessware List.

However, each web page has a search box which may aid in locating good
Freeware that meets your needs.

Chrissy Cruiser

www.pricelesswarehome.org

then

2005 Security

Must be _really_ difficult to replicate.

Nevermind. ;)

Sorry I stepped into your little sandbox.

Susan feels unaprreciated. She should, she is.

But big girls understand that, in life, one is almost always unappreciated
just as I am sure that Susan has her own share of people she appreciates
less than their worth.

Mel

Susan feels unaprreciated. She should, she is.

But big girls understand that, in life, one is almost always unappreciated
just as I am sure that Susan has her own share of people she appreciates
less than their worth.
Oh! The webs that we weave... ;-(

Amamba

Well, to be honest, what set me off was the following: (quote)

"FYI: The Best of The Best in Freeware is called Pricelessware around
here:"

A statement like that, coupled with what I see as some gaping holes in
software list on PL2005, prompted me to post my original message. A
"Best of the Best" is a pretty strong statement to make, wouldn't you
agree ? And, having spend lots of time researching the best freely
available security software, I was surprised to see most of it missing
on your BOB list. Now, the site isn't presented as somebody's personal
website, but rather as some sort of organizational blog. This implies
different standards.

Anyway, for example, go to sci.crypt, the group frequented by security
software experts, and see what they perceive as the best free
software. You would find lots and lots of mentions of TrueCrypt,
CrossCrypt, GNUPG and the like. CC and GnuPG are old and venerable;
lately, TrueCrypt seems to be the favorite. Regarding password
managers, KeePass has taken a very strong lead over competition.
Neither of these programs, I believe, appeared on the list. The
firewall list was very limited, to say the least. Again, as somebody's
list of "what I think is the best out there", this would be a nice
thing to read. As the "The Best of The Best in Freeware" list, it
simply doesn't stand up to the claim it makes. This is MHO and you're
welcome to throw darts.

REM

Amamba said:
[...]

We're just ACF newsgroup participants. We don't try everything,
unfortunately. It is a collective effort to identify and to vote on
the best of the best.

The 2006 vote is right around the corner. Please nominate all programs
that you think are great and they will most likely make the list!

That's what makes the whole thing work. It's a collective of
individual efforts.