Trusted sites / active content anomoly ?

RJK

I recently made a "rollovers stopped working" post in the
to which there was no reply, so in desperation I post in here, in the hope
there's more brains in here than there is in that Dreamweaver NG !

I spent most of yesterday problem solving this and getting nowhere. This
morning I tried ***something that worked and wondered if anybody could
enlighten me on why and how it worked.

A tiny little bit of background:-
My friends website, (embryonic and still being experimented with - please no
criticism - and I KNOW that I haven't added meta description and keywords
before anybody points that out), ...my friends website resides on his
FreeServe account free webspace at http://ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk
He also has a registered domain name http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk that's
set at Amenworld to point to http://ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk

http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk IS LISTED in my IE6's Trusted Sites Zone so
that all "active" content will / umm...should work. BUT, "rollover" *.gifs
would NOT work in my IE browser, when surfing to
http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk Spent HOURS on that in DW yesterday
...mucking up my web pages.

The ***something I tried was to add http://ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk (the
actual location of his web pages), into my IE6's Trusted Sites Zone - and -
lo and behold the animated *.gif / Dreamweaver / rollovers WORKED when
surfing to http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk

Any comments or observations about my IE6 settings would be appreciated.
e.g. Are these "rollovers" going to fail for most people that surf to a web
page containing active content such as DW rollovers, even if visitors could
be charmed into adding a web address into their Trusted Sites Zone - namely
http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk It seems ridiculous to ask people to add
TWO web addresses into their Trusted Sites Zone, in order to correctly view
just one web-site.

Before I'm lectured on web design I realise that it's possible to build
quite professional web pages without active content, thus ensuring that
they'll work in most peoples we-browsers irrespective of age of machine,
brand of web-browser etc. ...which is why I've configured my friends' home
page without active content (..well there's two animated gifs on it!) as a
"gateway" to two sites - one with active content and one without.

regards, Richard

RJK

....corrected URL's ! <blush>

FreeServe account free webspace at http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk
He also has a registered domain name http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk that's
set at Amenworld to point to http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk

The ***something I tried was to add http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk (the
[...]

Sorry ...I removed the *.gifs yesterday, and removed access to the "two"
sites - one with active content and the other without. (because I'd done so
much damage during tests ! ...during changing links and uploading a new
page with just one rollover etc, in an effort to pin down exactly what was
causing active content to fail - or what settings in IE, if any, were
blocking the rollover from functioning IE6's browser window.

The *.gifs on the homepage were simply that - they were not part of a
"dreamweaver rollover" script / containing a "pair" graphics.
When it was there ! ...one of the hyperlinks on the homepage took you to a
page containing rollover's - this was the page where they would not work
unless the 'real' URL was entered into IE6's Trusted Sites Zone.

I'll be having a go at it all during the next couple of hours, had to do
different work this morning - intented to work on the site this afternoon
and instead slept !

regards, Richard

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Where at http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk should I see a rollover GIF? I
don't have particularly tight security settings, but I don't see them.
Should the links to flash/non-flash versions be working?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

RJK said:
...corrected URL's ! <blush>

[...]

....just removed http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk from Trusted Sites Zone,
and set Internet zone and Trusted Sites Zone, to "default" levels and, then
did the usual e.g. quit browser and cleared cookies and TIF via Internet
options, restart browser etc. ,and everything is fine! i.e. animated gif
"rollovers" work on pages linked to index.htm at
http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk without having to add
http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk into Trusted Sites.

I'm wondering if, in IE6's Internet security zone option, "Web sites in less
privileged web content zone can navigate into this zone," was doing it ?
....oh what the heck, I'll go for a coffee and cigarette and work through all
IE's Internet zone and Trusted Sites Zone options one by one and find out
which is the culprit/s.

Don't you just hate having to wade through a "pin it down" procedure, when
there's so much else to do ? :)

regards, Richard

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Where at http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk should I see a rollover GIF? I
don't have particularly tight security settings, but I don't see them.
Should the links to flash/non-flash versions be working?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

RJK said:
...corrected URL's ! <blush>

[...]

Well here it is ! ....I think ! :)

The culprit is the "Active Scripting" option in IE6's Security Internet Zone
and Trusted Sites Zone.

I will be modifying my ridiculously large "Help for IE6" to advise that
people should keep their IE6's Internet Zone set to HIGH, and add TWO URL's
to the IE6's Trusted Sites Zone to enable active content to run, so as to
not compromise security on PC's where people have set their Internet
security zone to High.

What a pallaver all this is ! ...I was only going to "knock up" a few web
pages for a friend.

regards, Richard

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Where at http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk should I see a rollover GIF? I
don't have particularly tight security settings, but I don't see them.
Should the links to flash/non-flash versions be working?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"RJK" <notatospam[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
...corrected URL's ! <blush>

[...]

.....heck of a lot of work just for 5 light bulbs !!!

goodnight !

regards, Richard

RJK said:
[...]

In case anyone was following my ramblings, and came up against a similar
problem, the cause of problem - was all me. i.e. it was self inflicted !

i.e. In Dreamweaver 4 | Site Definition | Local info ...in that local info
slot I had http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk in there, I just put
http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk in there instead (DW immediately advised
that it was going to "recreate site cache"), and then I removed
http://www.ajrobo.freeserve.co.uk from IE's Trusted Sites zone, quit IE6 |
cleared TIF, and surfed to http://www.robsonelectrics.co.uk and "scripting"
is working on pages with active content.

regards, Richard

RJK said:
[...]

Jan Il

Hi RJK :)

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem. Good job!

Thank you for posting back and letting us know what solution worked for you,
and for
the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem. :)

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.