Trouble loading XP Home Edition

G

First of all, the hardware details: HP Vectra PIII, 512MB, 13G Maxtor HDD (0), 16G IBM HDD (1), FDD, HP cd-writer, HP dvd-writer. I installed XP on this machine several months ago and it seems to have been working fine until recently, then started exhibiting problems. I attempted System Restore several times to a previous date, however it would not complete the procedure. I got to the point of deciding to reload the OS. Herein lies the problem, the install will not complete. The farthest I’ve gotten is 23 min to go. but it usually quits (randomly freezes up) much sooner than that . I’ve used the same CD as the original installation. Here’s what I’ve tried: disconnected all unnecessary hardware (16G HDD, FDD, dvd-writer, PCI Ethernet card, PCI modem card, PCI video card, speakers, printer), used half the RAM (switched slots), replaced primary IDE cable. Then, I decided to try and load the system using my HP Pavlion. The installation completed, however I did attempt to start while in the Pavilion. I re-installed HDD in the Vectra and nothing (I assume the installation is machine specific so you can’t clone hard drives). So, I attempted installation on the Vectra again, Formatted hard drive and again the installation stopped (froze up) prematurely. The format procedure (full NTFS) occurs normally, file copy is completed, machine reboots and then at install randomly quits. Is the problem software related or hardware related? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated?
Dave

G

dre1x said:
First of all, the hardware details: HP Vectra PIII, 512MB, 13G Maxtor HDD (0), 16G IBM HDD (1), FDD, HP cd-writer, HP dvd-writer. I installed XP on this machine several months ago and it seems to have been working fine until recently, then started exhibiting problems. I attempted System Restore several times to a previous date, however it would not complete the procedure. I got to the point of deciding to reload the OS. Herein lies the problem, the install will not complete. The farthest I’ve gotten is 23 min to go. but it usually quits (randomly freezes up) much sooner than that . I’ve used the same CD as the original installation. Here’s what I’ve tried: disconnected all unnecessary hardware (16G HDD, FDD, dvd-writer, PCI Ethernet card, PCI modem card, PCI video card, speakers, printer), used half the RAM (switched slots), replaced primary IDE cable. Then, I decided to try and load the system using my HP Pavlion. The installation completed, however I did not attempt to start while in the Pavilion. I re-installed HDD in the Vectra and nothing (I assume the installation is machine specific so you can’t clone hard drives). So, I attempted installation on the Vectra again, Formatted hard drive and again the installation stopped (froze up) prematurely. The format procedure (full NTFS) occurs normally, file copy is completed, machine reboots and then at install randomly quits. Is the problem software related or hardware related? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated?
Dave

Ask a Question