told me to get file and try locally. After that failed
attemp, I was not longer able to get out on IE6.0 to the
internet. Received and 403 Forbidden message:

Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.

What the heck happened? I finally got the full SP4 and
installed it. but no luck.

I didn't change any setting and I don't detect and changes.
Did I somehow fall on Microsofts Hate list or something ;)

Seriously, if anyone has any ideas, please help, this
restricts me from doing anything on this machine on the
internet.

Thanks

G

George Hester

You tried the Express Install? Never do that one again. Sometimes they work but only after a few guinea pigs have fallen on hard times. Then Microsoft will get their act together and make it so it works. Never do an express install for something of this size so close to its release.

Your issue is not an Access Software issue. It is likely a permissions issue that has occured due to having to cancel the install and that permissions violations is called access denied. What that usually means is that something is trying to write to a memory location it has no buisness trying to do.

Look for failed Service Pack install at Microsoft. There is a registry entry that can be changed to allow a successfule reinstallation of the Service Pack. But from what you said it sounds like you did finally successfully install it. In that case I would try reinstalling IE 6. Repair it with this command in Run:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINNT\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

But this will only work as long as you have not removed a folder which contains cabs from your last install of Internet Explorer 6. Oh if you are Windows XP, 95, 98, ME change C:\WINNT to C:\Windows

HTH

Ask a Question