Tried to add memory, now my system does nothing.


G

Guest

Actually, if I have the additional memory in the slot, I get a beeping sound,
which would indicate the system knows what RAM is there, but when I have only
my original RAM that works in another computer, so it's not bad, my system
won't go beyond that point.

I'm less concerned with the computer itself, but I'd really like to recover
my hard drive. Any suggestions?

- Tom
 
Ad

Advertisements

V

VideoReDo Sucks

HurricaneTommy said:
Actually, if I have the additional memory in the slot, I get a beeping sound,
which would indicate the system knows what RAM is there, but when I have only
my original RAM that works in another computer, so it's not bad, my system
won't go beyond that point.

I'm less concerned with the computer itself, but I'd really like to recover
my hard drive. Any suggestions?

- Tom

The beeping sound is telling you what the problem is. Go to the web page of
the maker of your BIOS and look up the beep codes.
 
P

philo

HurricaneTommy said:
Actually, if I have the additional memory in the slot, I get a beeping sound,
which would indicate the system knows what RAM is there, but when I have only
my original RAM that works in another computer, so it's not bad, my system
won't go beyond that point.

I'm less concerned with the computer itself, but I'd really like to recover
my hard drive. Any suggestions?



Reset your bios and try with only the original ram
 
G

Guest

I kind of avoided getting into this aspect too much, but I actually did that
already. I thought for sure I would get somewhere, but the system just
doesn't do anything with my original ram and even after reseting the bios.

I have a suspiciion that I fried something when I tried adding the
additional memory. I don't know what the chances are of simply having
someone replace any of the chips on the motherboard, which is why I thought
I'd just focus on the hard drive and recovering the data.
 
P

philo

HurricaneTommy said:
I kind of avoided getting into this aspect too much, but I actually did that
already. I thought for sure I would get somewhere, but the system just
doesn't do anything with my original ram and even after reseting the bios.

I have a suspiciion that I fried something when I tried adding the
additional memory. I don't know what the chances are of simply having
someone replace any of the chips on the motherboard, which is why I thought
I'd just focus on the hard drive and recovering the data.


Did you try it with only the new RAM???

Anyway...the mobo, if "fried" would not be reapairable...

Just try to get a replacement as similar as possible.
though you will probably need to perform a repair installation
if yuo use a different mobo...at least your data should still be OK
 
G

Guest

Actually, I didn't try it only with the new RAM. That would be worth a shot,
and will tell me for sure if the mobo is fried, or not.

Thanks a lot for the input.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

philo

HurricaneTommy said:
Actually, I didn't try it only with the new RAM. That would be worth a shot,
and will tell me for sure if the mobo is fried, or not.

Thanks a lot for the input.


Ok

hope you get it sorted out!
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top