Treated my PC...

Reaction score
I went on line to order Windows 7 as it was on offer (trial version expires soon...) and ended up ordering the following!

1 x Microsoft WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT OEM @ 69.27GBP
1 x Corsair 2GB PC2-6400 C4 XMS2 (2x1GB) @ 48.18GBP
1 x Antec Three Hundred Cool and Quiet Gaming Case @ 45.81GBP
1 x SAMSUNG SH-S223C SATA DVDRW Black @ 15.85GBP
1 x Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows @ 23.90GBP
1 x Enlight All-in-1 3.5 inch Internal Card Reader with Smart Copy Button + Media Center Remote Control @ 14.10GBP
1 x Icy Box IB-318StUS2-B External Enclosure for 3.5" SATA HDD @ 26.09GBP

In addition to the new graphics card, it should all be a nice little upgrade to my PC - given it's not been touched in 3/4 years!

SATA DVD/RW and Card Reader to replace FDD drive should mean lots less cables :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice indeed :D

x64 runs well with 4GB ram, so you've given your PC a nice little overhaul :)

Do you do much gaming on it?

Reaction score
I do some gaming, significantly less than I used to since moving in with the GF and working 40 hours a week, but I enjoy a little gaming session from time to time :)

I hope to connect the PC to the 37" LCD via HDMI and play DIRT on the TV with the XBOX controller :)

Flight Sim X still doesn't run smoothly on maxed out settings (about 5fps) even with the new HD5850 graphics card, so hopefully doubling the RAM will go some way towards helping!

I bought the new case because the old one rattles, and the fans that came with it seem to be dying and making hideous noises - its a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream, so it's decent, but getting old! I built my parents new PC into the Antec 300 case, and it's really nice. PSU goes at the bottom which is cool, and it looks smart and everything is easy to get to. Quiet too!

I have an 80Gb storage drive in the PC - but my laptop is full up with photo's so I thought I could buy an enclosure and put it in there, then keep all the photo's on it :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Gaming on the TV will look fantastic, especially FSX if you can get the frame rates up. :)

My case rattles a little at the moment too, but fixing the fan bearings should sort that hopefully. It's a shame they don't invest a little more in to the type of bearings used.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds good mate. I love win 7. :)

Get yourself the Win 7 blend Theme for 7. (looks like this) Its the best looking theme for 7 all day.

I have my PC hooked up to the TV, also a 37" 1080p LCD. Dirt @ 1920x1080 looks stunning. Playing it with a wireless xbox controller while sat on the sofa is a nice way to chill rather than sitting at the PC.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good upgrade :thumb:

My 6600 setup is over three years old now, longest config I've ever had.

But don't see any real reason to change just yet.

Let us know how things look on the TV and if your FSX frame rates improve.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My 6600 setup is over three years old now, longest config I've ever had.

Time flies doesn't it! I've just checked on here to see when I bought my Q6600 setup and that was about 2.5 years ago, which is much longer than I thought it was. It's still going well and I can't see that I'll be upgrading for a long while yet (at the very least another year, probably two or more).

Reaction score
So Aria messed up my order...

It arrived, and was missing my DVD-RW and my Xbox Controller.

Turns out my Xbox controller was coming direct from somewhere else, and arrived a couple days later.... and my RAM was DOA! I spent AGES trying to work out what i'd done to break my PC after putting it in the new case as it was throwing up all kinds of errors... but finally figured out it was the RAM.

Sent that back, and have since had it replaced - from putting it in the post to recieving the new RAM was 3 days in total - so great service in that respect.

But still no SATA- DVD-RW.

And I realised my new case has no external 3.5" bays so need to buy a downsizing thing so I can put my new card reader into a larger bag. Grr.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a bugger innit?

I also had a three day turnaround from Aria with a faulty NIC card, they were very good.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Whats that new GFX 5850 card like ?? Is it loud, whats the picture quality like, hows gaming etc etc
nod.gif

It's good to hear Aria are on the ball as I have just sent back a MP3 player :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like a PITA Chris. But good they sorted it reasonably quickly.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Ask a Question