Transferring files from windows 98 pc

G

I acquired a PC loaded with windows xp and want to copy my files off an old windows 98 pc which only has a 3 1/2 floppy drive. Tried backup to .qic files; but, windows xp does not like those files.

K

Keith

look into AlohaBob

Curt said:
I acquired a PC loaded with windows xp and want to copy my files off an
old windows 98 pc which only has a 3 1/2 floppy drive. Tried backup to .qic
files; but, windows xp does not like those files.

G

You can install Stomp's Backup my PC on Windows XP and it will recognize the windows 98 .qic backup files. Use the read from media choice. If you go from Stomps Backup my PC in the Windows XP computer to the Windows 89 computer, the long file names will have a tilde(~) in them. So use the Stomp program on the Windows 98 computer if you need to move files/programs back to the 98 computer. I use the 98 backup program a lot with great success and it even works to Windows XP with Stomps Backup my PC installed. Both backup programs are almost identical. Good Luck!

Rich

G

This is what I do at work: install the windows 98 drive as a slave disk in the windows xp machine. Once Windows xp boots up browse to the new drive in My Computer and copy from there. If you do not know how to move the drive please do not try if you do not feel comfortable working inside pc's

Good Luck

G

I downloaded the trial version from Stomps, but it didn't recognize the *.qic file. Does the full version support this??

Ask a Question