Transfer Settings

MVP - WannaB

I have searched all over for a way to export my outlook setting from one PC
to another, but have found nothing. I exported data and the import seems to
have gone fine. Can someone tell me if there is a way to export my settings
from outlook on one PC to another - including my account and display
settings?? Settings such as display the preview window below the email
list...
Thank you..

Galen

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message.

In
I have searched all over for a way to export my outlook setting from one
PC
to another, but have found nothing. I exported data and the import seems
have gone fine. Can someone tell me if there is a way to export my
settings
from outlook on one PC to another - including my account and display
settings?? Settings such as display the preview window below the email
list...
Thank you..

OS Version Transfering From:
OS Version Transfering To:
Outlook Version From:
Outlook Version To:

I did some searching and there appear to be different methods for different
OSes and different versions of Outlook.

--
Galen (Not Current MS-MVP)

My Geek Site: http://kgiii.info
Web Hosting: http://whathostingshould.be

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason
backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a
very easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the every-day affairs
of life it is more useful to reason forwards, and so
the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason
synthetically for one who can reason analytically." - Sherlock
Holmes

MVP - WannaB

"MVP - WannaB" <nospam at here dot priv> wrote in message
OS Version Transfering From: XP Pro SP2
OS Version Transfering To: Vista64 Premium
Outlook Version From: 2003 SP3
Outlook Version To: 2003 SP3
================
[...]

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/922514.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928635

The first says that they had problems, the second says it works, I honestly
can't recall if I transfered email settings at all. *sighs*

--
Galen (Not Current MS-MVP)

My Geek Site: http://kgiii.info
Web Hosting: http://whathostingshould.be

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason
backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a
very easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the every-day affairs
of life it is more useful to reason forwards, and so
the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason
synthetically for one who can reason analytically." - Sherlock
Holmes

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Exporting and importing are never the correct way to transfer Outlook data.
Correct methods are posted here daily. Read those posts.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Windows easy transfer will screw up outlook more often than not - don't use
it. Move the pst and create a new profile.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Galen

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message.

In
Windows easy transfer will screw up outlook more often than not - don't
use
it. Move the pst and create a new profile.

TY Diane. :)

(I have been absent for about a year. Got a lot of great pictures though.)

FWIW I can't actually recall having actually wanted to transfer the
settings. I usually just grab the data, regardless of application, and
insert it where it belongs manually. *sighs* I can think of a few times
where I'd have been wiser to actually try to import settings but, meh... I
didn't learn things by being wise, I learned 'em by being stupid and
breaking stuff.

--
Galen (Not Current MS-MVP)

My Geek Site: http://kgiii.info
Web Hosting: http://whathostingshould.be

"In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason
backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a
very easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the every-day affairs
of life it is more useful to reason forwards, and so
the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason
synthetically for one who can reason analytically." - Sherlock
Holmes

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I have searched all over for a way to export my outlook setting from one PC
to another, but have found nothing. I exported data and the import seems
have gone fine. Can someone tell me if there is a way to export my
settings
from outlook on one PC to another - including my account and display
settings?? Settings such as display the preview window below the email
list...

Many of Outlook's settings are contained in the Registry and impractical to
transfer from one PC to another, especially from a 32 bit to a 64 bit
environment. You're better off, in my opinion, transferring the Outlook
data and rules and resetting everything else manually.