Tool to edit registry from previous xp install???

JT

I'd like to find a registry editor that lets me look at the reg files
from a previously installed (but now not active) XP. That previous
install BSOD's on startup, even in safe mode. After trying to repair
it I finally reinstalled XP in a different folder.

All the reg edit tools I've tried let me edit the active registry, an
active registry on a networked computer, but not registry files in a
folder other than the active OS'. Any ideas?

StringFellow Hawk

Just be sure to unload the hive before shutting down.

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Regedit can do this. Type Load Hive in help.

JT

David Candy said:
Regedit can do this. Type Load Hive in help.

Yeah, but afaik that action merges the stuff with the active registry.
Regardless of your warning to be sure to unload before exiting, it
seems scary, inappropriate, and not very effective if the goal is to
search another set of registry files for likely suspects.

I guess the problem is that the win32 api functions for accessing the
registry naturally deal with "the" registry, and there's no easy way
to parse/edit a registry file without using them.

Thanks for taking the time to post the suggestion, though.