Too slow?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has found the site to load a little to slow, as I'm aware the site is pretty image intensive. I'm thinking about making another template skin somehow, so I could get a faster rendering version of the forums only. Would this be of any use?

I'm considering changing the design at some point in the future to a much lighter and speedier design, if that would be any use (although this would be some time away).

I'd be interested to hear anyones comments! :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian, sorry to say I have always fond the site "slow to load" ... 1.5mbtps or not, it has always loaded slowish.

As you are aware, at the workshop I use dial-up ... I wan't comment on that.

Now it may be due to the fact I use NTL for both connections, however, I have no problems with any other site.

We've had this conversation before, nothing has really changed, even when you moved servers ... I can only put it down to a combination of NTL & PCR. :(

Soooo any 'speed improvements' you make I would certainly be interested in. :D

:thumb:

ps
I'm not leaving no matter how slow things are.

Reaction score
I agree with Mucks partly, i use BT 512kp/s and it is slow.

but, i don't think you should change it! it is great how it is, and if you change it, it may be faster, but i doubt it would look as good as it does now

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the site is slower than most, mainly because of the way the tables are laid out on the site (it has to load ALL the images before it displays).

There are a few options I have, so I'd like your thoughts on this :)

• I could create a new forums part of the site, basically scrapping the side menus and speeding up the forums alone. The old ones would still be there, but a "lighter" alternative would be available via a new address (www.pcreviewforums.co.uk or something).
  • Nothinging changing in the design, but small improvements to image sizes and menus (maybe a 20% improvement max).
  • A new design for the site and forums, much lighter loading and would be designed for speed (but still look good ;)). This would also give a chance to revamp certain sections.
  • Do nothing and pray 20Mbps connections are common place in a months time ;)
The first option shouldn't take too long to implement (maybe a couple of weeks tops), the same with the second option. Although a new site design could take a month or two. The last option may take about 20 years for BT to roll out :D

Reaction score
I think i like "option B" (speeding it up, but leaving it how it is) that one sound the best to me!

KGB

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
it has to load ALL the images before it displays
Now that explains everything ... I wondered why I saw all the graphics, then wait 20/40secs looking at a white box. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many potential members 'walk away/click cancel' ... sorry to sound so critical, no disrespect intended.

I vote 'C' ... you're overdue a re-vamp. :p

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I vote 'C' ... you're overdue a re-vamp. :p
lol, it has been about 6 months now since the last ;)

I had that thought too, that people on anything under 512Kbps will simply turn away.

I'll make a new thread for design ideas, and see what it comes up with. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I think i like "option B" (speeding it up, but leaving it how it is) that one sound the best to me!

KGB
It will still look good if there is a design update ;) I will give it once-over tomorrow and see if I can speed bits up anyway though :D

Reaction score
If we get a re-vamp, will we lose all of the posts?

And, if you change the forum's domain, will you not lose all of your interest from people comming in from google, because you will not be popular anymore?

KGB

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I agree with Mucks that a re-vamp would be best :)

I'm not keen on the bluey-grey colour, it looks rather dull... not that I'm saying I want bright red and yellow with purple spots ;)

I think something sleek, modern and simple (and of course quick to load!) is what the doctor ordered :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just what I was thinking... perhaps with a pale, cool blue colour (not bluey-grey like at the moment though!)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very good compromise should be arriving tomorrow ;) You'll have to wait and see, cos I don't know if it will work :D

Ask a Question