Too Many Personal Folders

Oscar

I recently moved the pst file from my old computer (Outlook2000) to my new
computer (Outlook2003). Before copying the file to the directory on my new
computer, I renamed the existing file from outlook.pst to outlook_orig.pst.
It moved fine, except the Outlook Address Book would not recognize the
Contacts Folder, so I also opened outlook_orig.pst. No problem there, but
now when I open Outlook, it now displays four sets of Personal Folders - (1)
pointing to outlook_orig.pst and (3) pointing to outlook.pst. I have no clue
how I did that, but if I right-click on any of the three sets pointing to
outlook.pst, "Close Outlook Data File" is grayed out, and will not allow me
to close it. The program runs fine, but confusing as hell. How do I get rid
of two sets of the duplicate Personal Folders? Thanks for your help.

Brian Tillman

Oscar said:
I recently moved the pst file from my old computer (Outlook2000) to
my new computer (Outlook2003). Before copying the file to the
directory on my new computer, I renamed the existing file from
outlook.pst to outlook_orig.pst.

Thereby corrupting your mail profile. You cannot modify the names of PSTs
while they are attached to a current profile without corrupting that
profile.
It moved fine, except the Outlook
Address Book would not recognize the Contacts Folder, so I also
opened outlook_orig.pst. No problem there, but now when I open
Outlook, it now displays four sets of Personal Folders - (1) pointing
to outlook_orig.pst and (3) pointing to outlook.pst. I have no clue
how I did that, but if I right-click on any of the three sets
pointing to outlook.pst, "Close Outlook Data File" is grayed out, and
will not allow me to close it. The program runs fine, but confusing
as hell. How do I get rid of two sets of the duplicate Personal
Folders?

You need to start over with a new mail profile and use the Data File button
to point to the correct PST.

DL

A 'small' point, if you use the origonal OL2k pst as your primary pst it
will still be subject to the OL2k size limitations.

Oscar

I'm not familiar with the issue of pst size limitation. If I use the pst
file I moved from the old computer, it will be limited to a smaller size,
even if I'm running Outlook2003? How does the size limitation for
Outlook2000 compare with using the original Outlook2003 pst file? Thanks for
the feedback.

Oscar

Thanks for the feedback. This is all untraveled ground to me, but I read the
link and a new profile sounds a whole lot better than a regedit. If I can
still use the pst file, what's the downside to a new profile? In this
situation, why would someone choose to do something other than a new
profile? Thanks again for your help.

Diane Poremsky said:
A new profile might be easier for you, but you could try
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/ghosts.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Oscar said:
I'm not familiar with the issue of pst size limitation. If I use the
pst file I moved from the old computer, it will be limited to a
smaller size, even if I'm running Outlook2003? How does the size
limitation for Outlook2000 compare with using the original
Outlook2003 pst file? Thanks for the feedback.

The old PST's limit is 2 GB and the new PST's limit is (theoretically) 34
TB, although the default limit is 20 GB.

DL

A pst in the old format can cause problems if larger than 1.6gb, and will
completely fail at some point after that.

Brian Tillman

Oscar said:
Thanks for the feedback. This is all untraveled ground to me, but I
read the link and a new profile sounds a whole lot better than a
regedit. If I can still use the pst file, what's the downside to a
new profile? In this situation, why would someone choose to do
something other than a new profile? Thanks again for your help.

The downside is that it affects some current settings. It doesn't carry
over any accounts from another profile. You have to redefine the accounts,
reset the send/receive settings, and if you use autocompletion, your cache
starts afresh (although that can be addressed by renaming the NK2 file with
Outlook closed).

Oscar

Brian - Thanks for all your reponses and help. That makes sense now.
Fortunately, just a couple accounts, so that should be quick. I think it's
time for a new profile.

Timothy S. Mathews

Reply to message from "Brian Tillman" <[email protected]> (Tue, 02 Aug
2005 21:36:25) about "Re: Too Many Personal Folders":

BT> The old PST's limit is 2 GB and the new PST's limit is (theoretically)
BT> 34 TB, although the default limit is 20 GB.
BT> --
BT> Brian Tillman

Will you define old? I have Office 2003 & wonder if I'm "old" or not. :)

Bye
Timothy S. Mathews <[email protected]> Fri, 05 Aug 2005 07:54:16 -0300

Brian Tillman

Timothy S. Mathews said:
Will you define old? I have Office 2003 & wonder if I'm "old" or not.

In the Navigation Pane, right-click the root of your PST and choose
Properties, then Advanced. The "Format" field will say either "Personal
Folders File (97-2002)" for an ANSI-format (old) PST and "Personal Folders
File" for a Unicode-format (new) PST.

TS Mathews

Brian said:
In the Navigation Pane, right-click the root of your PST and choose
Properties, then Advanced. The "Format" field will say either "Personal
Folders File (97-2002)" for an ANSI-format (old) PST and "Personal
Folders File" for a Unicode-format (new) PST.

Thanks for the help...I'm "new." ;-) As I keep a lot of messages from
friends, I was thinking it might be wise to make sure I had plenty of
room. After getting this, I decided, what the heck, why not get off my
duff, close Outlook and see how large my .pst was...a whopping 25 megs!!
Yeah, I'm getting dangerously close to being too large! ;-)

Oh, well, it is nice to know I've got so much room.