Too many different cell formats

G

While working in an Excel-file the error message "too many different cell formats" popped up. It is now no longer possible to open this file as the error message appears immediately, finally resulting into closing down the file automatically. I have a couple of questions which I hope can be answered by someone
1. Can this file be opened somehow (using different software is not an option as the file is password protected)
2. I still have an older version of this file. Before continuing with this file I want to get rid of as many format as possible. I am currently writing a macro in order to find out how many formats have been used (or does such a macro already exist?). But .... which formats have to be taken into account? (Borderlinestyle, bordercolor, borderweight, font, fontsize, backgroundcolors, .....).
3. Is using a lot of conditional formats a risk factor with respect to this problem

Ask a Question