Too many cell formats

Wayne Sheppard

We've partially adopted Excel 2007 this year, but still work on our files in
2003 file format. After just a few months, we started getting the "too many
cell formats" error. Using a tool to enumerate the styles, there was huge
jumps in the number of duplicate styles being used.

I have historical reports for the last 6 months. Before 2007, the report
showed '3' Duplicates. After 2007, the duplicate style count jumped to 94,
153, 240, 348, 686, 1287, 2207, etc, higher each week the file was edited.
Something in 2007 is causing a huge increase in the use of duplicated
styles.

Wayne Sheppard

Nick Hodge said:
Wayne

Two things I would question
2) Are these files still in compatibility mode? (.xls)

Yes. The files started out as XLS, and have always stayed as XLS. We have
never saved them as XLSX. I did try saving one file as XLSX and back to XLS
to see if the styles were reduced, but it didn't help.
1) Does the 'tool' understand the 2007 format?

I'm not sure. I'm only using it on the XLS format. Note that the problem
occurred before I downloaded the tool.
http://xlsgenreduction.arstdesign.com/

Earl Kiosterud

Wayne,

Sometimes your best bet for this problem is to copy/paste the sheets into a
whole new workbook. If there are a lot of named ranges, macros, scenarios,
etc., it can get big, but often, it's not as big a deal as fighting a
problem like this one.

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com.

Mike Gonzalez

I have this exact same problem but need an actual solution to prevent Excel 2007 from doing this in the first place, not just a workaround as Earl suggested once the problem already exists. We have way too many documents for a workaround like that to be feasible.

My users report that they are using format painter to paste formats and that seems to be creating the duplicate styles. I wrote a quick VB macro to delete all of the styles in the workbook as a workaround, but I really need to get this resolved and determine what is causing the duplicate styles.

When does Excel create styles? When a new unique combination of formatting is applied to a cell or range of cells? When any format is applied or pasted? Understanding first what Excel is doing is going to be necessary to get the issue fixed.

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

Wayne,Sometimes your best bet for this problem is to copy/paste the sheets
23-May-07

Wayne,

Sometimes your best bet for this problem is to copy/paste the sheets into a
whole new workbook. If there are a lot of named ranges, macros, scenarios,
etc., it can get big, but often, it's not as big a deal as fighting a
problem like this one.

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com.
"Wayne Sheppard" <no more spam> wrote in message

Too many cell formats
We've partially adopted Excel 2007 this year, but still work on our files in
2003 file format. After just a few months, we started getting the "too many
cell formats" error. Using a tool to enumerate the styles, there was huge
jumps in the number of duplicate styles being used.

I have historical reports for the last 6 months. Before 2007, the report
showed '3' Duplicates. After 2007, the duplicate style count jumped to 94,
153, 240, 348, 686, 1287, 2207, etc, higher each week the file was edited.
Something in 2007 is causing a huge increase in the use of duplicated
styles.

WayneTwo things I would question1) Does the 'tool' understand the 2007 format?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
"Wayne Sheppard" <no more spam> wrote in message

Re: Too many cell formats

Yes. The files started out as XLS, and have always stayed as XLS. We have
never saved them as XLSX. I did try saving one file as XLSX and back to XLS
to see if the styles were reduced, but it didn't help.

I'm not sure. I'm only using it on the XLS format. Note that the problem
occurred before I downloaded the tool.
http://xlsgenreduction.arstdesign.com/

Wayne,Sometimes your best bet for this problem is to copy/paste the sheets
Wayne,

Sometimes your best bet for this problem is to copy/paste the sheets into a
whole new workbook. If there are a lot of named ranges, macros, scenarios,
etc., it can get big, but often, it's not as big a deal as fighting a
problem like this one.

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com.
"Wayne Sheppard" <no more spam> wrote in message

Walking the Windows Forms Control Hierarchy
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...2-29a62fc4e26e/walking-the-windows-forms.aspx