Too long filenames wrongly handled by Windows

Michel Merlin

Too long filenames wrongly handled by Windows

As part of a routine backup, I copy (using an appropriate
program) an entire main HD, say HD1, onto another HD2, then I
"forward-copy" HD2 onto HD3. Initial backup can use up to 2
hours, but next backups, copying only the new or changed files,
use only 2 to 10 minutes (depending on PC and its use).

After doing this for some times, the backup, while performing OK
for all files in first stage (HD1 to HD2) and for most files in
forwarding stage (HD2 to HD3), fails in that 2nd stage for a
dozen files, with errors like this one:

« Unable to rename temp file from H:\PC8_bakup\Documents
and Settings\User4\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\W1IN4HUB\~PGTEMP.TMP to H:\PC8_bakup\Documents
and Settings\User4\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\W1IN4HUB\the_style1-%23FFFFFF-%23F3F2FB-%23003
399-%23C2C3F4-%23003399-%23FFFFFF-%23FFFFFF-%23000000-%230033AA-
%23000000-%230033AA-%23F3F2FB-%23E9E6EF-%23FFFF[1].css (The
system cannot find the path specified) »

Those files with extraordinary long names are all TIF
(Temporary Internet Files), and among the less important of
them, so I try to delete them by hand.

I can easily delete by hand the other ~10 files that return the
same error, but this one won't be deleted, returning:
|____________________________________________________________
| Cannot delete file: The filename you specified is
| X invalid or too long.
| Specify a different filename.

| | OK |
|____________________________________________________________

That file exists in HD1 and HD2, but not in HD3 (since renaming
failed and the ~PGTEMP.TMP file, being temporary, has been
deleted).

As a result, I have the main disk of one of my PCs, HD1, that
contains a file that can't be read, or moved, or deleted;
however, and oddly, no message or error is issued when
defragging that HD1 disk.

But it remains that this HD1 disk is vulnerable; I don't dare
doing ScanDisk on it (I lost 2 entire HDs with all their data a
few years ago with this same error or very similar, when Windows
decided on its own to perform a ScanDisk - with a gentle message
saying something like, from my memory, "to protect integrity of
your data"...).

I want to make clear that:

1. the real problem is not with the failed renaming or copying
in HD3 (curiously the problem never comes in HD2), but with
the initial file (in HD1) being unable to be read or moved or
deleted, with all the expected grave failures that this may
cause;
2. my backup is not contributing to that real problem, it only
unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like
backup programs)?

Paris, Tue 19 Apr 2005 14:39:20 +0200

Al Dykes

> [...]

unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like

There is a way in IE to purge Content.IE5 files. I had an problem with
one once (It was a huge book PDF) and found the only way to delete it
was some clear cache command in IE.

BTW; copying a backup to another disk is asking for problems.
For example, if you've got

C to D to E

and D is sick, or has a corrupted backup when you copy D to E then
you've just overwritten your good backup with dogsh*t. You need to
flipflip
C to D and
C to E

Michel Merlin

Thanks for replying - and for replying so early.

1) Clear cache will probably call the same Windows components
as any other command to delete a file, hence stumble on the same
obstacle. And web cache usually stores several times 100 MB of
information; if that information is to be of any use, it must
not be destroyed, but carefully saved and backed up; flushing
cache must not be done IMO as easily and often as usually
adviced. So I try to not destroy all the web cache just to check
that single problem (however I may since I have a backup...;) ).

2) Sure multiple backups, to be useful and safe, should be done
not only from a system in good shape, but also through various
channels (various HDs and HD types, various times and states,
....).

But at the same time, backups are intended to restore data if
necessary; to be of any use they must be checked. Best check is,
when doing several backups at the same time or nearly, to group
them in chains as the one I explained, so if one backup fails, I
am aware immediately, when the original data are still at hand.

In my case, I even copy HD3 onto a DVD; and if I decide to
reformat HD1, I will restore it *from the DVD*, which BTW and at
the same time will valid backups HD2 and HD3.

Paris, Tue 19 Apr 2005 15:28:30 +0200

Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Message: Sent: Tue 19 Apr 2005 08:53:31 -0400 (Paris 14:53:31 +0200)
Subject: Re: Too long filenames wrongly handled by Windows

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> [...]

unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like

Mikhail Zhilin

Assuming there is no Y: drive (in the other case use the letter that is
free), you can create Y: fictive drive:

Start -- Run...

subst Y: "H:\PC8_bakup\Documents and Settings\User4\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

(it is one long line). Then you can copy all the subfolders from the
root of Y:\ to the main "Content.IE5" folder.

BUT... No need to backup this ...\Temporary Internet
Files\ folder at all: all the files in it are temporary files, which can
be deleted at any time. If it is possible -- simply exclude it from the
Backup set.

As well as the content of \Windows\TEMP and
"\Documents and Settings\User4\Local Settings\Temp"
(with any name instead of \User4\ in this line) folders.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> [...]

unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like

Using another HD ("Y:") won't help if it still needs reading
(or copying or moving or deleting ) the corrupt file; as all
other ways of deleting the file, it won't work, the file will
remain undeleted. I see no other option than:

- continue living with this copprupt file in the TIFs (with the
risk in case of ScanDisk, whether deliberate or inadvertent);
- or reformatting the HD (with all the time loss involved in
backing up, reformatting, restoring).

BTW, as I said in my
« Clear cache will use same components - backups must restore! »
(news://msnews.microsoft.com/[email protected],
replying to "Al Dykes"):

« ...flushing cache must not be done IMO as easily
and often as usually adviced. »

Thanks anyway for your input

Paris, Tue 19 Apr 2005 17:51:20 +0200

> [...]

unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like

Kerry Brown

Michel Merlin said:
Thanks for replying - and for replying so early.

1) Clear cache will probably call the same Windows components
as any other command to delete a file, hence stumble on the same
obstacle. And web cache usually stores several times 100 MB of
information; if that information is to be of any use, it must
not be destroyed, but carefully saved and backed up; flushing
cache must not be done IMO as easily and often as usually
adviced. So I try to not destroy all the web cache just to check
that single problem (however I may since I have a backup...;) ).

2) Sure multiple backups, to be useful and safe, should be done
not only from a system in good shape, but also through various
channels (various HDs and HD types, various times and states,
...).

But at the same time, backups are intended to restore data if
necessary; to be of any use they must be checked. Best check is,
when doing several backups at the same time or nearly, to group
them in chains as the one I explained, so if one backup fails, I
am aware immediately, when the original data are still at hand.

In my case, I even copy HD3 onto a DVD; and if I decide to
reformat HD1, I will restore it *from the DVD*, which BTW and at
the same time will valid backups HD2 and HD3.

Paris, Tue 19 Apr 2005 15:28:30 +0200

I don't think you fully understand the implications of what Al was telling
you. The purpose of doing multiple backups is in case one of the backups is
corrupt. The way you are backing up in a serial progression A => B => C=> D
etc. will not protect you from a corrupt backup somewhere in the chain.
Multiple backups should be done in parallel A => B, A => C, A => D. The
backup times should be staggered so that you can go back to an older backup
if needed. The way you are backing up if for some reason HD1 is corrupt
(e.g. virus infected) and you then copy it to HD2, HD3, then DVD you do not
have an uninfected backup. You are repeating a task needlessly. In your case
if a quick restore may be needed I would have one backup hard drive, done
daily or however often needed, and several sets of DVD backups, some stored
off site. Verifying the backup will make sure the files match. It won't tell
you if the data in the file is corrupted.

Kerry

> [...]

unveils it.
3. the faulty files are TIFs made by some sites (mostly forums)
that seem to store data on my computer in file *names* (and
sometimes in file *types* BTW) instead of in file *contents*.
But, the data in those filenames (and contents when it can be
read) is unreadable for me and doesn't help me guess the
faulty sites.

So the only solution I have to get rid of that dangerous wrong
file, is to reformat HD1, with all the time loss (and risks)
involved in the implied backup and restore.

So I would like 2 things:

1) Anyone can tell me how to avoid such problem in the future,
or to work around it more simply and time efficiently?

2) Can Microsoft cure its software to remove that problem?
(which most probably comes from some Windows components
used in Windows Explorer and in 3rd-party programs like

But try to delete them when you are in the root of Y: drive:

cmd /c rd /s Y:\*.*

(not DEL, but RD -- to delete all subfolders with their files) because
Explorer will use the shorter path, and if (file name + path) is
shorter than 256 symbols -- these files will be deleted.

If not -- release Y: drive letter:

subst Y: -d

and create the new Y: drive, that includes the whole path to the
undeletable files:

subst Y: H:\PC8_bakup\Documents and Settings\User4\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\W1IN4HUB

in your case. Delete all files in this folder using the letter of this
substituted drive:

cmd /c del Y:\*.*

Then release Y: letter again (subst Y: -d), and, if there are files in
the other similar subfolders -- use, one by one, the paths to these
folders as the Y: drive in the same way.

If that won't help -- all these files can be deleted by their short
(DOS) names: see the thread "Cannot delete or rename folder on desktop"
started in this newsgroup on Tue, 22 Mar 2005, 09:49:06 -0800, by "Rich"
where this advice I gave helped.

If that won't help (unlikely) either -- there are some other methods,
like using UNC paths \\?\........, which are more tolerant to the long
paths+names.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======

Mikhail Zhilin

cmd /c rd /s Y:\*.*

Sorry, has to be:

cmd /c rd /s Y:\

(with no *.* wildcard). The line with DEL,
cmd /c del Y:\*.*
is correct though.