Today is St.Georges Day

Reaction score
St. George is the patron saint of England. His emblem and ours, a red cross on a white background, is the flag of England. It was adopted by Richard The Lion heart and brought to England in the 12th century. The king's soldiers wore it on their tunics to avoid confusion in battle.

St. George's Day is on April 23rd, so, in a sense, this is England's National Day.

Winston Churchill wrote

"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word,

which means more to me than any other.
That word is ENGLAND."

Last edited:
Reaction score
why don't we get a bank holiday?

We don't seem to celebrate St. Georges day (i don't anyway) but i always have a few pints of guiness on st. pats day.

Maybe we should associate lager with St. Georges day then i'm sure the whole country would celebrate the day.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Techy said:
Maybe we should associate lager with St. Georges day then i'm sure the whole country would celebrate the day.

Very True ;)

Having a nice relaxing day and a nice roast today to celebrate after Murdoch mentioned it last week :)

Reaction score
Murdoch + Lots of Beer = Mayhem

Murdoch does not need an excuse to celebrate!

Murdoch is the only person i know who bought shares in a brewery to get free beer, instead of a divided at the end of each year he gets his in pints:D

Reaction score
Shhhh, just don't mention the brewery;)
Hope everyone has a good St Georges Day:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
None of the other three saint's days are public holidays and St. Georges Day falls very close to both Easter and May Day holidays, so that's why it isn't a public holiday.

Happy St. Georges Day youse lot :)

Ask a Question