Timeout property

G

Dear All

I am writing an application which fetches Web pages. I have been using the System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Timeout property to specify how long a request made with the GetResponse() method should wait for an answer. Nevertheless, my impression is that it does not work. No matter which value I set for the Timeout property, my requests may hang indefinitely when fetching certain Web pages

I have noticed that there is a new property called HttpWebRequest.ReadWriteTimeout. Would this new property be more appropriate to use in my case

Thank you
Marco

G

Microsoft's documentation don't say much about this new property which is to be available from version 1.1 onwards, however Timeout property should be working properly unless you are using asynchronous I/O methods to access web pages or ignoring WebException
hope it should help you to figure out what's going on

Abh

----- Marco wrote: ----

Dear All

I am writing an application which fetches Web pages. I have been using the System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Timeout property to specify how long a request made with the GetResponse() method should wait for an answer. Nevertheless, my impression is that it does not work. No matter which value I set for the Timeout property, my requests may hang indefinitely when fetching certain Web pages

I have noticed that there is a new property called HttpWebRequest.ReadWriteTimeout. Would this new property be more appropriate to use in my case

Thank you
Marco

Ask a Question