time service

M

me

i have an issue that is getting annoying
i have a 2000 server that is used as time server (among other things)
i can't make the pdc a time server using the software i have because it is a cluster node (not my idea to make it a dc) and it disables the time service which could cause a problem since it is important that the time service runs for the cluster.
anyway, i have configured the pdc to look to the time server, but it keeps saying
This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.

i did do that and when i do a net time /querysntp it shows the correct server. but it still shows that error

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

What time server are you trying to point it to? I use ntp2.usno.navy.mil

W

William W. Plummer

Lanwench said:
What time server are you trying to point it to? I use ntp2.usno.navy.mil
The Navy has two time servers tick.usno.navy.mil and
tock.usno.navy.mil . If your server supports many machines in a large
company, it's ok to use tick and and redistribute the time to avoid
congestion on tick. Otherwise, individual machines should use tock .
I don't know what happens is tock gets congested. Maybe it just
gets slow.

M

me

tried that
no difference
after setting it i did a w32tm /s and said 'RPC to local server returned 0x0'
and still complains there is no ntp server setup

D

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Are all of the servers in the cluster DCs? see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccf_cls_jpue.asp

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
i can't make the pdc a time server using the software i have because it is a cluster node (not my idea to make it a dc) and it disables the time service which could cause a problem since it is important that the time service runs for the cluster.
anyway, i have configured the pdc to look to the time server, but it keeps saying
This Machine is a PDC of the domain at the root of the forest. Configure to sync from External time source using the net command, 'net time /setsntp:<server name>'.

i did do that and when i do a net time /querysntp it shows the correct server. but it still shows that error

M

me

i am well aware that it is not recommended for a cluster node to be a dc.
one of them is, and that wasn't my decision, but my consultants; probably because the only other server outside the cluster is the other dc and if that went down, we would be screwed
Are all of the servers in the cluster DCs? see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccf_cls_jpue.asp

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

Ask a Question