THX – What does it mean for my equipment?

Reaction score
Hello to all

Currently building my first real home theater, I am thinking of buying Denon’s AVC-A1SR multichannel AV amplifier, which, among others, sports the THX Ultra 2 certification.

Since I don’t know too much about Audio/Video, I just know that being THX Certified is something good for a component. But how does THX really work? Is it something like Dolby Digital or DTS (I am sure I have seen somewhere THX Surround EX or sth like that)? Since I am thinking of buying the Denon THX amplifier, should I also get THX Speakers, THX DVD player etc?

With the loudspeakers being the most important aspect of the system – as I keep hearing – the question is really important about the loudspeakers I am going to purchase. Should I opt for THX loudspeakers? In what aspects are they better (or worse) than non-THX loudspeakers?

Looking forward to your replies

Best Regards

Angelos, the CthulhuPhile

p.s.: Excuse my poor use of English, it isn’t my native tongue

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
First of all welcome to PC Review! :)

THX is a design and quality control system for the playback enviroment in a theatre. There are many sites on the net which you may find useful for understanding the terminology of THX.

You may find following links useful for better understanding.

THX and how it works

THX page at Wikipedia

However, my personal opinion is that you should not restrict yourself to buying all the gear which says THX on the front panel. Some of the equipment out there is far superior sounding even without the THX logo splattered on the front panel. Many manufacturers of high end equipment do not believe in THX and refuse to bow to this terminology and rightly so. Equipment with THX logo can jack up the price of the equipment as well since the manufacturer has to pay the licencing fee to the owners of the trademark.

If you have questions I would be happy to answer them, besides myself some other members here are also very knowledgeable.

Reaction score
Nice to be here :)

Thanks for the reply. I should have known better and looked in wikipedia before I posted here. Oh, well, thanks anyway!

Ask a Question