Three issues with FTP browsing in Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (Windows 98 SE)

• Thread starter =?windows-1250?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=
  • Start date
?

=?windows-1250?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=

1. In Internet Options -> Advanced, the "Enable folder view in FTP sites" works in reverse, i.e. if I have this cleared, FTP sites are viewed in an Explorer-like interface, if I have it checked, they are viewed in a HTML-based layout. Has anyone else experienced this?

(The next two issues are when browsing with an Explorer-like interface.)

2. When I right click on a file or directory and select copy, it does not do anything, i.e. it's not possible to paste. (I have not tested whether this works in Windows XP.) The "Copy to folder" does work, but why is the "Copy" there when it seems not to do anything?

3. When I double-click a file to open it, IE always tries to open a new window and gives me "The page cannot be displayed" after a couple of seconds. This seems to work fine in Windows XP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ivan

?

=?windows-1250?Q?Ivan_B=FAtora?=

Hi everyone,

I am cross-posting my message from December 15 to win98.gen_discussion, since I have received no replies in the other newsgroups.

My message discusses some apparent problems Explorer's FTP interface, using IE 6 under Windows 98 (but some of them might also apply under XP - still haven't tested this).

Best wishes for the New Year,

Ivan

1. In Internet Options -> Advanced, the "Enable folder view in FTP sites" setting works in reverse, i.e. if I have this cleared, FTP sites are viewed in an Explorer-like interface, if I have it checked, they are viewed in a HTML-based layout. Has anyone else experienced this?

(The next two issues are when browsing with an Explorer-like interface.)

2. When I right click on a file or directory and select copy, it does not do anything, i.e. it's not possible to paste. (I have not tested whether this works in Windows XP.) The "Copy to folder" does work, but why is the "Copy" there when it seems not to do anything?

3. When I double-click a file to open it, IE always tries to open a new window and gives me "The page cannot be displayed" after a couple of seconds. This seems to work fine in Windows XP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ivan

Ask a Question