This should make Vista soar: Dell to sell machines with new Intel chip

T

t.cruise

(From USA TODAY)

Dell to sell machines with new Intel chip

Posted 11/8/2006 12:39 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) — Dell, the world's second-largest personal computer maker, said
Wednesday it started selling machines with microchips from Intel Corp. that have four
processing cores, delivering faster performance and better energy efficiency.

Dell said it was offering Intel's quad-core version of its Xeon chip for server computers
that run business networks, and a quad-core version of the Core 2 Extreme chip for
high-end desktop computers used for heavy-duty computing like graphics and 3-D modeling.

The chips are among the most powerful in Intel's stable, and are built by sticking two
dual-core chips together in a single package. Dell of Round Rock, Texas, is the No. 2 PC
maker after Hewlett-Packard Co.
Intel launched its quad-core chips ahead of schedule as it tries to stop market-share
gains by rival Advanced Micro Devices, which beat Intel to the punch with dual-core chips.

AMD plans to launch a quad-core chip by the middle of next year, and claims it will
perform better than Intel's current offerings because all the cores will be on a single
piece of silicon rather than two dual-cores stuck together.

Dell also announced Wednesday its first business desktop computer with AMD processors.
Dell earlier this year ended a long-standing exclusive relationship with Intel and began
offering AMD processors in business server computers and consumer personal computers.

T.C.

W

Will

Wow I was going to buy Vista as soon as it came out But now I might just
stick with RC2 for a few months longer and get a new system with quad core
it might be worth the wait

W

Will

That is awesome it would take a totally redesigned hardware structure to run
it though and I'd say when it becomes avalable to retail the cost would be
enormous.
But I guess people will buy it anyway. The same happened when intel launched
the prescott core cpu's people said they were too expensive but they went
and bought them anyway

X

xfile

I only hope there will be enough applications to utilize its power.

By the time it becomes the mainstream, I might be retired already, LOL.

But good to see :)

Ask a Question