This item contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane. Open the item to rea

Shadow

I have outlook 2000 with sp3, do have a custom form with vb code
published as default form. In preview pane I get the error This item
contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane.
Open the item to read its contents. However the same form published as
default on another machine with outlook2000 with Sp1 does not give me
the preview pane error.

Please help.

Thanks

Roady [MVP]

This is becaused of the enhanced security added with the Service Packs; no
code can be executed in the Preview Pane.

You might want to check your options with the developers in the
outlook.program_vba newsgroup

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Creating Signatures

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

This is now normal behavior in Outlook for forms with code behind them.

Shadow

Do I have any other option? I have two drop down fields on the custom
email form and item_open, Item_write, Item_send events. It is very
important for user to preview the message in preview pane?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

No, you have no other option. If you have code behind the form, the preview
pane cannot display the contents. The user can still use AutoPreview to see
the first 255 characters or so.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
This is now normal behavior in Outlook for forms with code behind them.

Shadow

If I dont save the design of the form saved with it, would the preview
pane still know that original form had vb code in it? I mean at the
recieving end, if the message is recd with no custom design with it,
should not it open in preview pane?

Sorry, I am desperate and going in circles.

Shadow said:
Do I have any other option? I have two drop down fields on the custom
email form and item_open, Item_write, Item_send events. It is very
important for user to preview the message in preview pane?

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
This is now normal behavior in Outlook for forms with code behind them.

I have outlook 2000 with sp3, do have a custom form with vb code
published as default form. In preview pane I get the error This item
contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane.
Open the item to read its contents. However the same form published as
default on another machine with outlook2000 with Sp1 does not give me
the preview pane error.

Please help.

Thanks

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

It doesn't matter whether you're using a published or one-off form. The
behavior is the same. If the recipient has no access to the published form,
though, I think the preview pane may still be on. But I haven't looked at
that scenario with Outlook 2000 lately.

If it's not necessary for the recipient to use your custom form, then you
could also just create a new email message in your Item_Send event handler
instead of sending the custom form item.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Shadow said:
Do I have any other option? I have two drop down fields on the custom
email form and item_open, Item_write, Item_send events. It is very
important for user to preview the message in preview pane?

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
This is now normal behavior in Outlook for forms with code behind them.

I have outlook 2000 with sp3, do have a custom form with vb code
published as default form. In preview pane I get the error This item
contains active content that cannot be displayed in the preview pane.
Open the item to read its contents. However the same form published as
default on another machine with outlook2000 with Sp1 does not give me
the preview pane error.

Shadow

Can I create custom dropdown on the toolbar some how and then on click
event or change event of the dropdown send the selected value to the
currently opened email form. Is that at all possible? This way I keep
the custom code in the dropdown and email remains clean and hopefully
users can see it in the preview pane then?

Shadow said:
[...]

What you're describing is a COM add-in, which would have to be installed on
each user's machine. See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/comaddins.htm if you
want to pursue that solution.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Shadow said:
[...]

Perhaps I failed to explained the complete situation. I already have
a com-addin and I am instantiating it in my item_open event. Anyways..
now I added the com-addin code to two custom dropdowns I created on
the toolbar. Dropdown gets populated with whatever value. So far so
good. Now what I need do have is when user creates and email and if
something is selected in the dropdown, I need to capture those
selected values in my email body. So somehow click event of the
dropdown needs to send the value to the email message form. So how do
I do that without having any custom vb code in the email form (rem
objective is to have the user see the email in preview pane).

Shadow said:
[...]

If you want something to happen when the user creates the item, the event
you're looking for is Inspectors.NewInspector. Since each Inspector has a
CurrentItem property, you'd check whether that's a new mail item and then
work with its Body or HTMLBody property.

Otherwise, you'd use the Click event of your CommandBar control.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Shadow said:
[...]

If I create a button on toolbar and click event has the following code:

Set myInspectors = Session.Application.Inspectors

Then how do I iterate through this collection to get the current window?

I am sorry but my brain is fried at this time.

Shadow said:
[...]

Going back to the original solution with custom form and original
problem with not being able to see it in preview pane, is this problem
solved in any of the later versions of outlook (2002 or xp)?