Thinking of getting a new rig

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Could be coil whine too, the 670's do that. :)
they ain't the only ones, I hope it's not, that's an RMA, a pain if they don't "hear" it.

I verified my particular whiny card by stopping the fan moving ... the silence was golden. I hasten to add I would not recommend anyone actually do that. :)

Maybe you can drown the whine with some nice wine, cheese & crackers. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks muchly for the replies Mucks and V_R :thumb:

It's very helpful to have narrowed things down a bit... I've been half-expecting to hear a bang, see a puff of smoke and...... well you get the picture.

My bet is on the graphics card fan ...

... nVidia did away with the auto-fan-control in their driver, no idea why, it's now "supposed" to be automatic. I've had 3 cards since they changed this, and non of them went auto. Oh, and one whined so much when it got hot, I had to replaced it, it really was driving me nuts. :rolleyes:

Go get MSI Afterburner ... you only need to concern yourself with the Fan Control bit.

Give it a try. :)
Accepting that we do things at our own risk, I'm just wondering whether altering the fan speed would cause overheating? (I'm assuming that it would need to be slowed-down in order to quieten it(?)

Could be coil whine too, the 670's do that. :)
I didn't know about that one, so did some Googling. One thing which turned-up is this YouTube sound file. This would be a fair representation of what I actually hear. Sort of not unlike a siren as it starts off or winds down... if that makes any sense. Please ignore the rushing-air part of the sound though, I't is only the whine that is coming through on mine.

[Youtube]vyOHmuo358U[/Youtube]

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My interpretation is, the cards get hot, not over-temp as in 90c, if they do, then there is insufficient cooling, no I mean from, not got much to do, to playing a game.

My card goes from 28c idle, to 55c playing GW2 and starts to complain, it then attempts to increase the fan speed. In LoTRO, it'll reach 60-65 and still the fan is pottering. :rolleyes:

I have noticed, just by doing this that the fan does indeed increase, I'm just a wee bit too deaf to notice the subtle difference.

Using MSI Afterburner, was actually recommended by V_R, I set the fan to run at 47%, any more than that and I'll hit it with a hammer, sorry, they still fitting "screamers" on video cards, and it's bloody ridiculas.

Consolation for me, GW2 is a lot more lenient on my GC than LoTRO ever was.

:user:

Attachments

• temp1.PNG
    temp1.PNG
    167 KB · Views: 125
  • temp2.PNG
    temp2.PNG
    172.1 KB · Views: 156
  • temp3.PNG
    temp3.PNG
    175.1 KB · Views: 170

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:(:wall:Poor young TC that noise must send you mad
So chivalrous of you Bootneck - I like the phrase "young" TC a lot!! Thank you for making my day. :D

I've just downloaded and installed Afterburner and have taken some screenies. The first is completely "at rest" then, I went into GW2 and just trotted around in non-combat area. Next I moved-on to a slightly busier environment, then lastly got into some action. All in the space of about 3 or 4 minutes. Here are the results:

Attachments

• Afterburner 1.JPG
    Afterburner 1.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 159
  • Afterburner 2.JPG
    Afterburner 2.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Afterburner 3.JPG
    Afterburner 3.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Afterburner 4.JPG
    Afterburner 4.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 151

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
MSI AB is amazing. :)

Everyone should use it, regardless if you overclock or not.

TC, try playing about with the fan profile curve.

FYI, heres what mine looks like... (I have quite an aggressive curve due to the overclocking and the fact i dont want it going too high, as the 670 throttles back (only by a few ticks mind you) at 70c)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• msiab.png
    msiab.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 217
  • fanprofile.png
    fanprofile.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 203

Ask a Question