The type is in red and I can't change it

While I was typing a word document, my fingers must have inadvertently hit
the wrong key(s) and my typing is not in red and I can't get rid of it. I've
tried going to the color for the font and changing it there, but it just
converts back to red. Also, there's a little sideline note saying "delete"
in red, with a broken red line arrowing back to where I left off, almost like
an insert cue. Help!

Ed

One possibility is you may have inadvertently turned on Track Changes
(usually under the Tools menu somewhere, depending on versions - in my Word
2000, it's Tools>>Track Changes>>Highlight Changes). Look at that - if
anything is checked, uncheck it.

HTH
Ed

Ed

Ah, yes. I rarely work with Track Changes - except in this last batch of
reports (in which it has been a MAJOR pain!!), so I tend to think only of
how it displays, rather than all that is created.

Ed

Daiya Mitchell

You're not the only one. :) Now Word 2003 forces the changes to show up so
that no one can forget--embarrassments were happening.

The little sideline note that Jim mentioned--showing tracked changes in
balloons--is also a new feature after Word 2000, just by the way.

Jim S said:
While I was typing a word document, my fingers must have inadvertently hit
the wrong key(s) and my typing is not in red and I can't get rid of it. I've
tried going to the color for the font and changing it there, but it just
converts back to red. Also, there's a little sideline note saying "delete"
in red, with a broken red line arrowing back to where I left off, almost like
an insert cue. Help!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You have turned on Track Changes. Turn it off (you can do this by
double-clicking TRK on the status bar), then Accept All Changes in Document.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

"This happened. How do I get rid of it?" <This happened. How do I get rid of